We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

Which St. George's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

We are heading to the Rex Resort on Saturday March 12th, for a one week stay, our first time in Grenada.

We're both outdoor people, and wanted to get in some good hiking while we're there...this is one of the reasons we chose Grenada.

Does anyone have any thought on this topic in general, and specifically on how to do Mt. St. Catherine? My guide book says you have to do it with a local guide. Is this true? Any tips on who to go with ?

Many thanks

B-More
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

I have visited Grenada at least a dozen times since 1995 and I have always wanted to hike to the top of Mt Saint Catherine, but never met anyone who has done so.

Here's a link to a blog or journal where someone recorded their experience climbing the mountain: http://windom.cybox.com/logs/2001/07.31.html

Mt Qua Qua is the second highest peak and can definitely be hiked without a guide. It takes about an hour or so each way depending how frequently you stop for water and photos.

Kitchener Ontario
Level Contributor
781 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

Although we did not hike this, we hire local guide Telfor Bedeau when we were there a few weeks back. His knowledge of the area and pointing things out are a real benefit. It's nice to complete a climb but with so much to see along the way it would be a shame to miss some of it.

Just my thought.

Tahxes
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

We just did Mt St Catherine with Telfor Bedeau 6 April 2011 and wish to sing his praises. It was a bit of a strenuous hike, we had two GPS just to mark our track, but would find it hard to believe we were on the right trail if we return and follow the GPS tracks, in other words, hire a guide and hire Telfor who lives near Grenville his phone is 473-442-6200. He is 70 and had done Mt St C, 176 times after our hike. He wore us out, chopped trial with his machete (cutlass to Telfor), and kept up a near constant rendition of his interesting and colorful life. Great guide, wonderful character. Price was $200 U.S. Not cheap, but you'd never make it without him to show you the horrible, muddy straight up trail and you'd miss hearing an island mon's life. We parked around 960 and walked up to 2800ish (feet), 4.6 mile round trip. Many nice views and the first one to reach to the top had nice views, but it was in the cloud and windy when the rest of us got there. We didn't stick around long and headed back down. Take water and snacks and be prepared to get muddy (hands and feet).

Cambridge...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

Do you happen to have your GPS track from your hike up Mt St Catherine? I'm thinking of heading there in a few weeks. Thanks!

Grenada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

I would agree that Telfor Bedeau is the best guide for a hike to Mt St Catherine.

If you just want to hike and have fun with it, meet people from all walks of life and nationalities, try cheap Grenadian food and drinks, link up with

www.grenadahash.com or check 'Grenada Hash House harriers' on facebook.

Most Saturdays.

Inter Caribbean Hash coming up in April. Don't miss it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

You must also try Hashing. A huge group goes every Saturday to different parts of the island. A great, fun way to hike and see the beauty. Check out Hash House Harriers for updates.

Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

A hash is definitely not to be missed. I did a full moon hash through Grand Mal. Ran up a long gutter, across a beach, the climbed climbed for an amazing moon lit view. Competition is not encouraged but not discouraged (there is always a fast group that want to be first to rum shop at the finish). There is no charge and drink and food is always plentiful at the finish. Most hashes expect to get sweat and most times dirty as well. Trail running shoes have served me best but I see folks hash in all sorts of footwear. A great time if you can time your visit right.

8. Re: Hiking Mt. St. Catherine's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. George's