We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Departure Tax

Hi, I am confused. Has anyone who has recently travelled to Grenada from the UK had to pay the departure tax upon leaving? I have read a few things on the forum regarding this and am not sure whether I paid it when I booked with Virgin.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax

As of May 4, 2010, the departure tax is to be collected from the agent from which you purchased your ticket.

So if you bought your ticket prior to May 4, you will have to pay the departure tax $50 EC/ $20 US/person. Children are less.

If you are using frequent flier miles you'll have to pay the departure tax at the airport.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax

Sandra, I read on a prior posting that there was no longer anyone at the airport collecting the tax and basically if you purchased prior to the May date, you lucked out on not paying it.....True? False? Anyone.....?

Barb

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax

Don't know other than what I found on the gov website. Guess I'll find out in Oct when we use ff miles.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax

I went surfing again and found the departure tax has increased. It is now $60 EC or $22.35 US.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax

Us too. We are there from the 16th to the 30th!!

Barb

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
196 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax

we purchased our tickets in January. Did not prepay departure tax in the ticket but NO one was there to take any departure taxes and none were collected from us last week when we departed. I think those of us who purchased prior to the new rules are lucking out and not paying anything.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax

Thanks, Relaxed....I know I had read the same thing on another post, Hope you enjoyed your stay!

Barb

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax

Thank you so much for all the responses, I had read so many different things I was confused. We received our e-tickets from Virgin yesterday and go in three weeks. The schools breakup at the end of the week so can really relax and get kids excited as well.

Denton, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax

We just returned from Grenada in June 2010. There is a departure tax we were told. It was included in the price of our plane ticket I suspect because the agent sent us straight to the customs/immigration desk. We did not have to stop at the departure tax window. We flew American.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Pataskala, Ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax

We just got back yesterday. There was a lady at the window and we asked her if we needed to pay (no one else seemed to be) and she said "no". The cost was $24 US according to the sign. We were flying Delta to the US.

Get answers to your questions about St. George's