We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

I'm a 30something, thinking about taking my 70something aunt with me to Grenada. There's a breakfast only package to the Calabash Hotel for roughly $500 less than the all inclusive package to Spice Island.

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it to splurge on the Spice Island all-inc, if nice dinners in Grenada are going to run around $50-$75 per person in the nicer restaurants. I am a bit of a foodie, so I like the idea of visiting local restaurants, so in that sense, a breakfast plan might suit me well, but if the food at Spice Island is high quality, I'm not sure if I'd be better off there.

How is the breakfast at the Calabash? For people who have stayed at the Calabash Hotel, did you end up eating at Rhodes most nights? Or did you end up visiting other restaurants?

Which would you pick?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

A traditional local breakfast is saltfish and bakes. It is salted cod sauteed with onions, peppers, spices, etc. Bakes is oddly enough, not baked but a fried bread. The saltfish crepe is basically saltfish inside a crepe, though the crepe at Spice Island is not the traditional thin French crepe... it is thicker and seems more egg-ier.

Cocoa tea is hot chocolate steeped with a basil leaf. I know, it sounds weird and I didn't think I would like it, but the bay leaf gives it a unique taste and now I love it and make it at home with Grenada chocolate company hot chocolate mix or Smilo cocoa powder.

Among the local juices, I love the golden apple, passionfruit, guava, and sorrel. If they have sorrel (usually comes out in December) give it a try.

Oildown is the national dish of Grenada. It is a heavy meal, you will need a nap after eating it. ;-)

A new thing that I tried this past trip was Tania (Tanya?) Log. It is a soupy type of dessert. Hmmm, I wonder if the chef at Spice would make it on request... I might have to give it a shot next time. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

Thanks for your detailed response, Pigsterz ;-)

I love WI food in general (esp. home-cooked Bajan & Jamaican food I've been lucky to experience), but I haven't had a chance to try anything from Grenada, so I'm so excited to try out these local dishes.

Really looking forward to experiencing Grenada!

Edited: 11:07 am, December 18, 2009
arizona
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

We just returned from 12 nights at the Calabash Hotel. We loved it. It is a little off the beaten track but we rented a car for trips to Grand Anse and shopping. Every morning we had our breakfast cooked by our maid and served on our veranda. It was always delicious. Their pancakes (really crepes) with nutmeg syrup were to die for. Then when I would go most mornings to the beach and read where I was served fresh juice. In the afternoon tea was free which was served in the restaurant and included tea cakes and small sandwiches. Each evening at 6:00 canapes were brought to our room. The night we arrived we didn't get to the hotel until about 10:00pm. They had sandwiches and drinks and a Grenada chocolate bar waiting for us. We also had a voucher for one free massage per person at the spa and a free drink at the beach bar. On Wednesday night we were invited to a casual cocktail party at the beach bar where they served appetizers and champagne or wine. The morning we departed we had to leave very early so they brought a continental breakfast to our room the night before. We did eat at Rhodes restaurant and it was delicious. And the steel drum music was great. But most dinners and lunches we ate at the new (much less expensive) restaurant, called Charcoals that was just down the road. When Charcoals learned that we are Americans they let us know that they would be serving pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. It was nice and spicy and delicious. We also ate several times at the marina down the road where we ate pizza and listened to some great music. The Calabash Hotel made us feel so pampered without being snooty. Most of the other guest were from the UK and were all very friendly. One of the best things about the Calabash was the staff. From the office personnel to the maids, bartenders and waiters to the maids and landscaping crew. . . everyone was so genuinely friendly. We did eat lunch one day at Spice Island and their burger with pineapple salsa was delicious. We love seafood but were hungry for a good old burger that day. I would definitely stay at the Calabash Hotel again. Oh, and their taxi driver, Matt, was wonderful. He took us on a private tour of the island. The only thing we weren't prepared for was the extremely high humidity. We are used to it in the Abacos in the Bahamas but this was much greater. Let me know if you have more questions..

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

We dined at the Rhodes last night. Food is superb, and served by a good set of waiters... Not cheap, but worth the expense..

Mainly, its a fish based menu, but thet do have a seperate munu for children.

If you are staying at the Calabash, there are a few restaurants within walking distance, (if you are fit.) A new grill bar has opened up in the last 2 months, and we will be trying it before we leave..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

Thanks for your comments! Sounds like we could be very happy at either resort. Right now, Spice Island is in the lead- but Calabash is a very close 2nd!

Edited: 8:33 pm, January 04, 2010
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

You won't go wrong at either resort! They are both pretty special in their own way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

Thanks for all your feedback!

We enjoyed our stay at the Spice Island Beach Resort- definitely the most luxurious all inclusive I have experienced! Great service, and top quality!

The resort was close to capacity, if not at capacity, while we were there in early March. Mostly a predominantly British crowd in their 50s, 60s and 70s, and quite a few repeat customers.

18. Re: 1st trip to Grenada- Spice Island or Calabash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about St. George's