We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada Beaches

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Grenada Beaches

We are considering gouing to Grenada this winter. Are there any topless acceptable beaches on the island? Also what is the best swimming beach for a 3 year old?

Thanks.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada Beaches

All are...if your a male. Mourne Rouge is good for kids.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada Beaches

testudo - Too funny. :)

Crusti - Topless is not really acceptable. Grenada is still very much a conservative island when it comes to nudity (the exception seems to be Carnival time), as are a lot of Caribbean islands that were once British colonies.

Morne Rouge is great, very calm waters, not too crowded. Prickly Bay in Lance Aux Epines is good for little kids as well.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada Beaches

I stayed at my friend's house and walked to Lance Aux Epines every day. It is very nice and you can get a drink/lunch at Calabash's bar.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada Beaches

As others have written, toplessness is unlawful in public in Grenada, and all beaches are public. If topless sunbathing is important to you or your family, I suggest renting a private villa with pool that would enable you to do so without offending local sensibilities.

I suppose it is possible to do a little discreet topless sunbathing, but you'd have to go so far off the beaten path to find beaches with nobody else on them, and those beaches almost certainly wouldn't be friendly to small children in terms of the waves, so I guess that's a moot point.

Morne Rouge and Lanse Aux Epines are both good beaches for small children, as is Grand Anse. I'd stay away from Magazine Beach as the surf can get a bit rough there. La Sagesse could go either way, depending on weather conditions. On calm days, it would be a perfect way to spend the day with a little one.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada Beaches

We have been to Tobago, Antigua, Grenada, Bequia, Union Island and none of these islands like topless bathing, it is offensive to the locals and best to respect them and their island, as said if you want to hire a villa and do it withing your own grounds fair enough otherwise perhaps you should look at other islands. Grenada is a lovely island and they love children, Mourne rouge is a great beach.

St. George's...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grenada Beaches

Hi Crusti,

good idea to escape the Canada winter and head south to Grenada. I'd like to add my vote for Mourne Rouge as a safe beach for the kids, it's in a sheltered bay.

On the topless beach question, it's not unusual to see one or two females catching a topless tan. The beaches in Grenada are normally not crowded, and I've never seen anyone enforcing the no topless law.

That said, understand that it IS against the law for females to be topless on beaches. So it's up to you if you want to risk sneaking in a topless tan/swim in a secluded area like others, or play by the rules.

My advice will be to follow the rules and not put yourself at risk.

Kindest Regards

Nev

7. Re: Grenada Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grenada