We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist card

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tourist card

Is it better to get our tourist cards from the Dominican embassy in Britian before we travel, or just wait and get them when we land, thanks.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist card

I asked this before our first trip to the DR, and was advised by Angie, Destination Expert, not to bother to get them in advance, and how right she was. Even before the embassy has added on £3 for postage it is cheaper to pay when you arrive. Yes, you have to queue up to pay, but you have to anyway with the health forms. Even after queueing you will still have to wait for your luggage to come off, and when you have got hold of that and made your way to your bus, you will have to wait for any stragglers to arrive.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,535 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist card

Hi Kev,

To be honest its not worth paying the £10 per person plus £3 p & p from the DR Embassy, which works out so much more than just paying the $US10 per person on arrival. As MissFitts mentioned you still have to wait for your cases at the baggage carousel, then wait for all the passengers to board the coach......I would advise you just to buy the Tourist Cards on arrival.

Angie.

London, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist card

With today's exchange rate it will cost you £23 for 2 if you get them on-line from embassy before travel as opposed to roughly $13 on arrival for 2, so I say save a tenner and get them there. (every little helps lol )

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist card

get them here, it's seriously not worth the aggravation of doing them before you leave. Just make sure you have US$ to pay entry AND exit - the exact money as they will not give you change!

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist card

it was easy peasy online link to the right of the page under tourist cards.. the price $10.00 US... one less thing you have to do. if your transfer is private your good to go.. this is my last sleep.. at the resort lunch time.. bayahibe dominicus finally!!!

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist card

It may be easier and peasier to do it online if you are from the USA, but if you are in the UK like Kev who asked the question, you suffer from the exchange of GBP into US dollars, plus the postage. If you have a private transfer, waiting for latecomers will not apply, but I bet there will still be a wait for luggage.

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tourist card

missfits the site is set up to email to you. then print off.. no mailing pay with a master or visa card. sorry UK didn't know they can not set up the email.. perhaps it allows for the bathroom break or a smoke for those that do. or even the luggage will be faster in slow season... try a temp visa card that can be loaded with USA dollar perhaps. that is what i did anyway for a peace of mind protecting my identity.. just to be safe....

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,448 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourist card

Do not get them from the Embassy....Much to expensive. I just got back last week and everyone who was purchasing their card when the landed here was waiting with me for our luggage. So no time savings either.

Either get them on line or wait till you land.

BObK

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tourist card

Funtime, for you it is $10 online. For us it is £10, plus £3 postage. £10 is a lot more than the $10 we would pay on arrival. Online OK for you, not for us.

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
992 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourist card

Got mine online $10 each and emailed to you. Was easy and one less queue to stand in. Went straight through passports and got luggage. I appreciate you cannot go till all through but no queue for tourist card or passport or customs.

Get answers to your questions about Samana Province