We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips at cayo levantado

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tips at cayo levantado

Hi

We are due to visit cayo lavantado in may. I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on tipping .I have noticed on several reviews people mentions tips but would appreciate when and how much is fair .

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips at cayo levantado

I do not think anywhere in the DR mandates tips for services but tips are always appreciated by the staff. Most of the staff make very little money and they try to provide exceptional service in order to garner a better tip. If you feel the service was good, reward them or if you want them to go the extra mile give them the incentive.

Leeds
Level Contributor
405 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips at cayo levantado

We were there in January......can't go wrong with US dollar bills.

england
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips at cayo levantado

As a brit we are not as used to the tipping culture as our US cousins, who looking at forum contribution tend to tip plenty here.

Checking before we went first to Cayo five years ago, was advised that the standard wage here is very low and that dollar tips for service personnel bar and housekeeping from time to time was OK and that a larger tip to maitre'd in restaurant and bar manager at the end of the holiday was appropriate if an only if the service received merited it.

Cayo staff do not expect tips and usually we tip for service above the norm, beach bed drinks service and special attention at meals. We always take dollars, pre ordering 200 singole dollar bills from the post office before going and then taking additional top up monies in dollars for entry and exit visas and bigger tipping.

We are very comfortable with this level of tipping and felt no real need to be leaving 5 and 10 dollars for housekeeping staff daily as I have seen reported here. But I guess it is quite a personal choice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips at cayo levantado

200 dollars worth of tips sounds a bit much to me. I would say $5 a day for the maid (this is a lot of money for them as they make a very small wage) and a few bucks here and there. I believe in tipping for services but there is a limit to it. I'm not there to throw money at people nor will I tip every person who says "hello" to me. Maids, bellhops, bartenders, counter staff, etc sure but I would not think about tipping the guy who opens the door nor the gardeners in cash. It seems a bit excessive.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips at cayo levantado

$5 a day for the maid?? On a two week holiday that would mean $70 - multiply by say 8 rooms - the maid would be earning more than a lot of Brits just from tips!!!

We tip the maid a couple of dollars every other day IF she is doing a good job.

It really annoys me when one of our North American cousins stands at the beach bar waving a fistful of notes at the barman -certainly saw that happen in Punta Cana - we are paying a premium for all inclusive but some of the tips are much more than the retail price of the booze!!!

Furthermore,excessive tipping soon becomes the norm and you get ignored if you AREN'T waving the appropriate bills -certainly seen it happening over the years at hotels in Cuba.

Edited: 2:57 am, March 21, 2013
Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips at cayo levantado

There is a recent review of CL, where the poster says he tips $10 per day to the maid, $3 daily for the minibar, $1 per drink and $3-5 per buggy ride. That certainly adds up to quite a lot.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips at cayo levantado

Tip what you feel comfortable with. You shouldn't feel pressurised to follow american customs in the dr.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips at cayo levantado

...I personally don't feel pressured to follow their customs ...but it can build up the local staff's "expectations" with the result that the service suffers; as an example , the undignified scrum that occurs at most. arrival airports nowadays; everyone and his dog expects a tip....the person who points out your coach, the porter who transfers the case 20 metres,the boy who takes the case off the trolley, the guy who loads the case in the coach hold,the driver of the coach...it goes on and on....most UK holidaymakers go for two weeks and pay a lot of money for their break in the Sun without having to find another pile of dosh for excessive & generally unjustified tipping.

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tips at cayo levantado

We left 1.00 a day for the maid.. If we had a special request from the mini bar person, I tried to leave a note with 1.00.

When we were at the beach or the pool, we would also give the guys a dollar here and there, but not every drink.. We always left 1.00 at breakfast and lunch to our waitress. if we went to an ala carte dinner we usually left 5.00 because there was always different waiters for different parts of the meal.

I would say a total for the day 5-10.00 but thats for everyone, not just one person..

Charlene

10. Re: tips at cayo levantado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2014