We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

Preston
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are looking at going to the Carribean for the first time arounf January next year. My We both like the hostel but my boyfriend prefers Cayacoa and it is cheaper but I don't think it's beach is my idea of a Carrbean beach!

Can anyone help us decide? How is the beach there?

Thanks!

Quebec
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

I’m going to the Gran Bahia Cayacoa in April. However, I’ve had the opportunity to visit this hotel a couple of years ago and wow, very impressive and the views are incredible And I’ve also had the opportunity to spend an afternoon on Cayo Levantado but we were not allowed to visit the hotel Gran Bahia Leventado.

Yes there is quite a difference in prices between the Cayacoa and the Levantado. But if it is any consolation you can take excursions to other beautiful beaches in the nearby areas such as Playa Rincon which is considered one the most beautiful beaches in the D.R. And from Cayacoa you can take a ferry and spend the day on the public beach on Cayo Levantado.

england
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

What you are actually paying extra for is top shelf drinks better accommodation and a higher staff to guest ratio. Also the added privacy of being on an island. If this is your first time to this region then I think that Monique is right hotels on the mainland to do offer a good base to explore and excursions are easy and frequent from all three of the BHP hotels located there. You may be lucky enough to be in resort for the start of the whale watching season.

We have been to several caribean locations and the beach at El Rincon is the best I have ever seen. A lot of the really lovely beaches in the world are well known and can be a little crowded - this part of the world still has quite low key tourism and also has a much freindlier price tag both in resort and out and about.

Preston
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

Thank you for your comments. Levantado does look nice but it's not far and the ferry seems quite frequent to go there anyway. I think we may upgrade to premium flights and still save money between the two.

Can anyone tell me how far Mount Isabel is from Samana? Are there trips from there?

Thanks

Quebec
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

In case you did not know there is the Gran Bahia El Portillo in Las Terrenas in Samana. Beautiful hotel surrounded by beautiful beaches (I have been to that hotel). It is situated just on the other side of the Samana peninsula.

As for Mount Isabel de Torres, it is located in Puerto Plata, a good 3.5-4 hours bus ride from and to Samana. There should be excursions to go there. However, Samana has got to be one of the most beautiful regions of the Dominican Republic. There are many different types of excursions that you can take to visit the area and its beautiful beaches and waterfalls.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

If you take the ferry to visit Cayo Levantado, I think you will only be allowed on the public beach. (if I am wrong, someone please correct me) . Personally, I would not bother with the public beach, we walked to it from the hotel and found a great many scruffy sunbeds, many broken. Yes, it is a big beach with soft sand, but not at all appealing to us. I think you should forget the premium flights and put the money towards staying at Cayo Lev.

6. Re: GBP Cayacoa or Levantado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 08, 2014