We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
304 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

I hear there is a reef. How is the snorkelling at this resort?

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Not very good. Depending of course with what you are comparing it.

Thunder bay, Ontario
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

We have really enjoyed being able to snorkel from the beach at el portillo. It is one of the many reasons we are returning to this resort. Yes some times the water is stirred up but on a whole you are usually able to see something. We have seen better snorkeling but have had to go off resorts for this. It is a real treat to get off your beach chair and have some right at hand.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
304 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

I have only snorkelled at Jibacoa, and playa pesquero in Cuba. Breezes jibacoa and Playa costa verde both resorts had reefs and we snorkelled every day for around 2 hours. I have never snorkelled at the best in the world but love doing it lots and would love to have it accessible every day.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Wendy, there is not too much of a problem with accessibility, you can swim out to the main reef, about 100 - 150 metres off shore, though tricky at low tide. But there is not a lot to see in terms of sea life, maybe about 10 varieties, and not exactly in abundance. There is coral, some live, some dead. I don't know about snorkelling in the places you mentioned, so can't compare. However I would say it is similar to the Mediterranean, but nothing like as good as the Red Sea or Indian Ocean..

You do see quite a few people feeding the fish with bread, but their systems are not designed to cope with it and the practice has probably been a major contributor to the low numbers.

El Portillo iis a lovely resort, and we are returning in August with our whole family, but snorkelling is not one of its main features.

5. Re: Snorkelling from shore at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, January 06, 2014