We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samana Airport

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Samana Airport

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of how things go as you get off the plane? Are there timeshare hokeys to deal with? Are the porters quick to snatch your bags & demand a tip for taking them off the carousel? Is there somewhere on the way through to grab a few cold cervezas for the bus ride? Where do you find your tour operator? How does getting through customs work? Do everyone's bags get searched, or is it only some people? (Cancun has a button you press & a red light means your bags get searched, green means you can go)

Is the airport as much of a madhouse as Punta Cana?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Samana Airport

hola medic chic.............el catey is a new airport with little traffic.........qiuck and to the point.........no hassles with timeshare guys like cancun.....in fact so un busy that buying a beer before boarding the bus depends on weather to cafe is open when you arrive..........no porter vultures either.........where are you staying, and when are you going.................we are going to grand paradise samana jan 8th..............have a good trip.........................steve

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samana Airport

Hola Steve! So glad to hear that el catey is free of the insanity that pervades so many other airports (like Pearson LOL).

We leave for the GBP Cayacoa on November 11 for a week. Can't wait!! *grin*

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samana Airport

El Catey Airport is quick & easy. Only thing different that we found is that you xray/scanned your luggage BEFORE you leave the luggage area at the Airport to go out to the bus/transfer area.

btw...Washrooms are outside the luggage area & to the left...new & clean

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samana Airport

Thanks mra! Cancun is like that as well. You wait in a throng for your luggage, then once you've finally got it, you line up to put everything through the scanner & press the button. They "say" it's random, but I'm not entirely sure of that! The only time I've had a red light was when I forgot a banana in my carry on from the flight down!

Where is the cafe Steve was talking about that sells Presidente, or are there guys outside who sell it? It's tradition for us to enjoy an ice cold local bevvie on the bus. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samana Airport

Great airport and easy/quick to get in or out. We stopped in the airport and bought a couple of Presidente to take on the bus. I think we were the ony ones that did, but we sure enjoyed them. Only complaint I have is that they took my collapsible umbrella returning to Toronto. I had it in my carry-on as it was raining. No problem with West Jet going down, but on the return they picked it up and said "no fly" and kept it. I said "I hope you will give it to a Dominican Republic person that will use it!" It was brand new and if I had known, I would have taken a cheaper one, or put it in our checked luggage before entering the counter. Have a great trip - Samana is beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Samana Airport

to your right as you exit the airport .............kinda attached to the airport...........a few tables....but was closed when we arrived a couple of years back...............from what i understand, the airport has not gotten any busier..............good luck, steve

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samana Airport

Returning home from the D.R, no matter if you are flying out of Samana, Punta Cana or Puerta Plata, DO NOT have anything in your carry-on that you think is ok to take home....umbrellas, (sometimes) batteries, fluids (water, juice, sunscreen etc)....IT WILL BE CONFISCATED while going thru Security !! Now it doesn't happen all the time, but if Security is in a rotten mood, they will take it....!

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samana Airport

Thanks Steve! I'm guessing it will likely be closed when we arrive as well, seeing how our flight lands at 1015pm!. :( Ah well... a mere 45 minutes later we'll be at the resort!

mra1.... thanks for the heads up! I never really thought about batteries before, but better safe than sorry!

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samana Airport

When we were in Cuba in the summer, coming home and going through customs I had a big bottle of pepto bismal in my carry on... They wanted to take it, but I had to explain that my son and I really needed it for our upset tummy's... They said ok.....We were lucky :) A few months before we were returning from the Mayan and I forgot I had a new bottle of sun screen in my backpack, and they did take it.. Oh well, you live and learn :)

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
england
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samana Airport

I always make sure that I have a couple of small mosquito wipes in my bag last time at Samana they were very hungry one lady got badly bitten on the ankles just going from the aircraft to the bus only about 30 mins...

We had some minatures in our bad when leaving Samana, bottles were less than the permitted size and they were taken I wonder why....... will decant into clear bottles next year..

Food and drink is very expensive at Samana airport

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic