We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Topic
Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

Hi guys,

The latest review from Breezes states that the Norwalk virus was going around at the resort. Are there any precautions I should know about? What exactly is the Norwalk virus? (e.g. symptoms)

Thanks for your feedback..........Mish

On., Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

OK... here is the review......copied as written...

very nice resort, lots to do, excellent food. However, the whole resort was sick with the highly communicable Norwalk virus, and all staff and vacation reps denied anything was wrong. i would not advise anyone to go to this resort till after it has been shut down for the summer season and cleaned and sanitized properly.

What I question is...how does this person know it was actually The Norwalk? I do not deny that there might have been a bug there, that could very well be taken down by a toursit(s) that had it before leaving, as there is so much going on right now as I said in my earlier post. If they did, & weren't 100% better & then proceeded to be in the sun,drink & eat food from a different country of course the symptons could resurface.

This was just an "everyday" person's opion & I have not seen any medical reports so until that time I, personaly, will just keep an eye on the situation but not let it get me "worked up".

Call me foolish but I will not let it get to me based on this review alone.

mary

Essex England
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

Well said MAry! I quite agree! Why let something that may not be true spoil the anticipation of a good holiday!!!!!

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

Mary(spot)- I'm with you. I'm so excited, I don't think the malaria or Norwalk can bring me down. I'll take the precautions that I can(chloroquine and soap) and hope for the best.

Stacy (MSP)- Definitely......Don't get lost before we leave (althoughI'm sure you're addicted like me :0)..) so we can get some descriptions to recognize eachother (unless you're going for the T-shirt idea) )lol

crystian-I'll be waiting for your review (yeah, like I can stay away from this forum)

I think I saw something about the Norwalk thing on the CDC site. I'll check and let you know.

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

No warnings on the CDC (at least that I can find) concerning Norwalk and the DR. Also posted on another post, just some food for knowledge:

How serious is norovirus disease?

Norovirus disease is usually not serious, although people may feel very sick and vomit many times a day. Most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. These persons can become dehydrated and may need special medical attention. This problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems. There is no evidence to suggest that an infected person can become a long-term carrier of norovirus.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

Yes. You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

�� Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

�� Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.

�� Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.

�� Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).

�� Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

just an FYI... My niece just got back from DR(went to the Capital city) she was there for mission work. she stayed in the village with all the other missionaries. They didn't say anything to her about any Malaria scares. She was there for 1 week. She did have her shots Both Hep A & B, Meningitis(sp) but wasn't told anything about Malaria drugs. And she wasn't staying at any resort type place. Isn't this very interesting that Missionaries go for weeks at a time and aren't told about outbreaks. This is the second person that I have heard about doing Missionary work and hasn't had any percautionary drugs.

I think these forums are very helpful but harmful to the brain.

Toronto,On
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Norwalk virus at Breezes?!

I was there from March 19th until 26th and got the virus midway...No way I will use the superclubs brand again. I should've suspected something one day when I saw then cleaning up every bar all of the sudden... My advise if you had to go there, be carefull in what you eat and drink, as even the ice from the drinks can be dangerous.

Good luck.l