We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

((((Canucktraveller))))

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
((((Canucktraveller))))

Please don't "not" post on this site again. You did the right thing. Although I have had malaria before and it's always been mild - sort of like the flu - so it's no big deal to me. It can get very bad too and you were just letting people know that it is out there. THANK YOU. Because if it weren/t for your post - I would not be taking the necessary precautions (Larium and bug spray with deet) with me. I have an 11 month old and it would worry me very much if she doesn't take anti-malaria drugs.

To the others - Malaria can be very serious, but when you take the necessary precautions, if you get it, it should be quite mild. I lived in Africa for 10 years. My parents are doctors and so is my brother. There is nothing to be afraid of - just heed the warning and take anti-malaria drugs and use bug spray. Other than that - don't worry and go and have some fun. Compare it to taking the flu-shot.

Everybody is entitled to there own opinion, but CanuckTraveller was trying to do us a favour by advising us of this. So say thanks and move on. Ever heard of "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all"...

Canuck - I hope that your son and husband are doing better and so are you. Take care and thanks again.

Lola

Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ((((Canucktraveller))))

Hope you and your family pull through ok Canuck!!!

Out of curiousity...can I ask what resort you stayed at?

I mentioned be4 I just returned from Punta Cana and I am just covered in bites so your story kinda scared me.

I also noticed that you are in St. John...I am in Miramichi so we are close neighbours!

take care!!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ((((Canucktraveller))))

In her 1st original post, she mentioned she stayed at Ocean Blue Resort in Punta Cana!

Canucktraveller!

We wish you well in getting this malaria thing under control. Hopefully you will not have anyfurther outbreaks in the future.

Our hearts go out to the little one!

Look after yourselves! & thanks for the warning!

Be safe everyone! Not Stupid!

Maybe they are not drinkers & didn't have enough alcohol in their liver to bump off the parasite! Most of us need detoxe after returning from a weeks vacation with an all inclusive! lol!

A brighter thought! Have a gooder!