We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

I've done the research on my own using this great site as well as itravel2000, but just for the hell of it I contacted a trvel agent to see the rates they offer. Wow, what a difference!!! It's like $300 dollars a person less on these sites. I guess people use agents to do the research and booking for them, but is there something else I'm missing here? The difference in price is enough to send me to a 5 instead of a 4 star resort. Can anybody PLEASE help me understand why it costs so much more to use a travel agent. Is it commission? Is it a pain to not use an agent, cause that's all I've ever done. Thanks a bunch!!

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

My agent will match any price I find on the internet.This year we booked with sellofvacations and got my price from travel 222. She gave me the cheaper one.

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

So did you just tell the travel agent "I saw it cheaper on such-and-such a site" and they just matched it! I thought of doing this but didn't want to insult the travel agent.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

We print off a variety of good deals from the travel discount websites and go to a travel agent. We've never had an agent insulted at us bringing in printouts - especially since he or she will some commission on it.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

Actually that is what I said. But I did have to give her the name of the company because she had to check the price to make sure.

East Coast, Canada
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

I researched and found the cheapest to be yourtraveltickets.com. I then phoned Sell Off Vacatons and they beat the price by $1. and gave us a $50. voucher to use on a future vacation. And yes, you need to tell them what website you found the cheaper price at, and they will verify it while you wait on the line. It, of course, has to be for the same resort, week, etc.

Toronto, Ontario...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

I never considered a travel agent, as I just want to pay the cheapest price, which seems to be online. What is the benefit of having a travel agent and then still doing the work of researching for the best price online and then telling him/her to match the price. Sorry for my ignorance, but what benefit would the travel agent bring in this situation? I have never used one.

7. Re: itravel2000.com vs. travel agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 24, 2009