We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort reviews - Total confusion

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Resort reviews - Total confusion

I would like to ask whom to believe in all these reviews posted here. In about three months we are going to Grand Occidental in Punta Cana and I have heard about everything about this resort from totally different perspective. From : "it is a great resort, the Palladium next door looks like a two star resort " to "do not go to this resort unless you are planning to end up in the hospital, Palladium next door is a six star resort compared to this one".

Well.... I got scared and even tried to re-book to another resort, BUT all other resorts have mixed reviews. I have been to Puerto Plata Iberostar Costa Dorada, and this was 5* resort, but also had a lot of shorcomings and not the best maintance.

Do all resorts in DR suffer this type of thing? I have been to Mexico twice before and resorts there are really well taken care of (those with 3* and 5* as well).

Any suggestions? Are there any "sure bets" in DR?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort reviews - Total confusion

there are never sure bets anywhere. what might help is choosing a 4.5 or 5 star also and a newer resort that has what you are looking for.

Majestic, Bahia, Principe Ocean Blue/Sand.

they all have different amenities to please anyone's needs. You have to see what is most important to you. List them if you can

Budget, size , activities, restauants, pool, beach, room, etc.

Reviews are good but subjective. for instance I loved the Tropical Princess/Caribe Club. I am returning Saturday, but same thing, the reviews are all over the place. I was even wondering if they were at the same hotel. Maybe it has changed drastically in 1 year. I will tell you when I get back.

From my research, if I were going with a significant other, I would choose the Majestic Colonial. No Limits on the a la carte restaurants, no reservations either except 2 I think, smaller more compact, gorgeous pool running the length of the resort, rooms decorated in a colonial style with dark furniture and four poster bed, jacuzzi in all rooms , some classes have them on the balcony. there are even rooms that you can swim-out to the pool from. and Newer. Dec 2005,

Bahia is newer too. Has several sections, limited a la cartes (3 per week, sometimes 4) very large resort, large pool right at the beach.

Ocean Blue/Sand, lots of activities, bowling alley, rock climbing wall, Mike's Cafe, lots of restaurants and no limits either, etc.

Like I said, list what you want as precisely as possible and you will get closer to what you want.

On a whole, the Occidental is not a bad resort. But yes you will find bad things if you look for them. If you are booked and cannot change, then just expect nothing is perfect and don't waste your time once there trying to get what you get back home - you will never win. Keep an open mind, pick your battles, don't stress the small stuff. You are in paradise, the beach there is gorgeous with a capital G, sit, relax, read, walk, drink, grab a bite here and there. You are on vacation....AHHHH. It is a mindset.

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort reviews - Total confusion

Thank you, dropusaline, I feel better now after I read your comments.

Majestic seems to be booked solid for Easter or they want almost twice as much as I paid for Occidental (hotel only $2,266 plus another $2,000 for 3 people). I am not sure if DR is worth that much money.

Next time I will check the cancellation policy more closely before I book. Booking a package is not always a good idea. For others I would advise to be careful while booking with Vacation Travel Mart. They do not allow me to cancel just hotel and keep airline tickets, although the two reservations were payed for separately.

3. Re: Resort reviews - Total confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 27, 2009