We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ascot, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

We've just booked our 2nd holiday to DR - Summer 2006 we stayed at the Ocean Sand Resort and absolutely loved it. This year we very nearly booked back at the Ocean Sand again for Summer 2007 but at the last minute we swapped to the Melia Caribe Tropical - the UK tour operator we are travelling with (Eclipse Direct) features both hotels but rates the Melia as a better hotel on their ratings (5) versus Ocean Sand (4.5).

We are a family of 5 travelling - Mum, Dad and three kids - Boy age 15, two girls age 13 and 5.

Have we done the right thing - I don't suppose anyone has experience of both hotels??

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

We are going there next Sat, and I will gladly give a review when we return. But for now, this mom seemed REALLY Helpful. Here's the link(the link might be broken so you might have to cut and paste), and if it doesn't work for some reason, go back a few pages and it's called "A mom's review of the Melia Caribe"

I found it REALLY helpful and even the responses had more questions and she gave more answers-it was great!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k86970…

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

our group of 6 adults was at the melia in royal service during low season (10/26-10/30) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (no kids though). that said the melia is no way a 4 or 5 star resort based on the amenities and services provided. it's beautiful, very large and the people are extremely accommodating (but we tip extremely well). being a seasoned traveler i must say that the ratings in the dominican do not compare to those we experienced and are accustomed to not only in the states but the many other islands as well as mexican locations we've visited. that said, you get what you pay for and our trip to punta cana was extremely well priced. we have no complaints.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

Melia Tropical is one of the best resort I've been too so far. We were there in 2004. Just beautiful the pools are huge ,beautiful beach and the staff are the best. You will have a grat time.

Ascot, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

Thanks for the replies. We went for Melia Carible Tropical as, although we lived Ocean Sand, the kids club didn't appear to be that popular and our youngest didn't want to go. The Melia appears to have an awesome kids club, otherwise it looks very similar to the Ocean Sand/Blue. I am very familiar with the accommodation rating system in the Caribbean - having worked for the US airline/tour operator industry for 12 years and have visited all-inclusives in the Caribbean often - including Cuba, DR, Barbados, Antigua and Jamaica. So far DR is our favourite!

Turn Around, Bright...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

Hi, We returned from the Dominican Jan 18 of this year.

I wrote a review of the Melia Caribe. It seemed to have disappeared. I wonder why? Of course the good, bad and ugly were listed and someone out there didn t like the truth? By day 4 of our 2 week stay it was decided by all never to return. Its too bad . It was a beautiful 40 acre piece of property however with lots of major problems. I wonder if the Hotels can erase the reviews??? d

6. Re: Melia Caribe Tropical - Have you been?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, August 26, 2009