We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

Fanwood, NJ
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

Has anyone given their children the anti-malaria drug chloroquine???

My 5 year old son has not been able to swallow a pill...

So we have tried to crush it up & hide it in several different foods...apple sauce, milk even icing!!!

and he cant stand the bitter taste! any suggestions?

who is & isnt taking the medication??

we leave for the ocean blue wednesday morning!

Ontairo
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

Yes, I gave my 12 year old daughter the malaria pill. the pill tastes terrible, we were going to change our mind and not take it until I was told once you get malaria you have it for good, and it keeps re-occuring with flu like symptoms. When we got to Punta Cana this year (february) , we were glad we did take it as one night the lobby in our hotel was over run with mosquitos. The girl who was with us got bit at least 10 times, so one never knows. This was the first time in my 7 trips to the Dominican that I have ever seen a mosquito. As for getting your child to take it, maybe try crushing it in with a small portion of a milkshake. Do find out from your doctor if the pill can be crushed, some pills are not supposed to be. Good luck, and have fun.

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

Hi, I was also wondering the same question. We leave at the end of april and I haven't yet tried to give my 4 year old son the medicine but we have decided to take the chloroquine. I would really also like to know who has given their young children the pills and how they gave it to them.

Thanks

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

just returned on march 19th.. no need for choroquine didnt see one mosquito the whole week, i stopped taking my pills they gave me migraines that i still havent recovered from

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

im from england, the children travelling with us have a liquid anti malaria medicine to take,im not sure what its called but i can find out. have you checked to see if they do a liquid form where you are?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
293 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

I had the liquid form for my kids (5 and 20 mon). Still a horrible bitter taste so must put it something. After third dose found that pudding worked best for us and the drinkable yogurt was ok too. Mosquitos were scarce at our resort but didn't want to chance it, and DR says to continue even if no bites cause I might have missed something and better to be safe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

We are travelling April3-10 with an 11 mth old and her doctor recommended she take the chloroquine even though the reports of Malaria have decreased in Punta Cana. He recommended we crush it up and put it in her food. Hope she takes it OK.

We went to DR in December for 2 weeks, but didn't find out about the malaria warning til we were already there (it was issued the same day we flew out). We did get bit a couple times, but thankfully we did not contract Malaria. We figure it is better to be safe than sorry as the disease is pretty awful.

Calgary
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

I would suggest you go with your Dr's suggestion on chloroquine and not that of people who are posting their opinions here.

I just returned from Ocean Blue/Sand on the 18th and I received several mosquito bites in spite of using repellent with plenty of Deet.

The mosquito's at Ocean Blue are nasty...pretty much swarm you in the lobby at night.

I would have felt very nervous returning home, knowing I did not have any sort of protection and would by no means want to subject my child to such risk.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: anti malaria pills (chloroquine) for children

Hey Proud2BCdn - I agree and plan to go forward with the medication. Even if there are some side effects, I would never forgive myself if my baby got very sick with malaria.