We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can you do to prevent stomach ailments?

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What can you do to prevent stomach ailments?

I am reading a lot of the review for the Ocean Sand, and it seems like a decent amount of people are saying that they or people they were travelling with at least had an upset stomach at some point in their trip. They ranged from mild to more severe. Is there anything you can do beforehand to help prevent this?

I thought I read somewhere that you should eat yogurt before you go because it helps your digestive system. Is this true, and are there any other "home remedies" that can help?

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: What can you do to prevent stomach ailments?

Thanks for all of the replies. This has been enlightening--lol!

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What can you do to prevent stomach ailments?

I've always carried ginger tea with me for stomach problems (fresh is always preferred but tea is just as well). It's what we tell people with any nausea or stomach problems in the clinic I work in.

Just my 2 cents...

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What can you do to prevent stomach ailments?

We were a group of 19 at least half of us got some kind of stomach problem (nothing to serious, mostly cleared up in one day) Just remember alot of the drinks are made with coconut milk which is a laxative. So enjoy but don't overdo it. The stomach problems we encountered didn't really seem to be any poisoning or anything like that. I think it was just eating and drinking differently than what were used to. Also the travel clinic here told me there is a preventive oral vaccine you can take but it must be taken either 2-3 weeks before you leave. It was to late for us. Hope this helps.