We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Allegro PC

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Allegro PC

We just got back from the Allegro Punta Cana (March 5 - 12). Any questions?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
northern maine
Level Contributor
224 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

did you happen to see rosalis and frances at the lobby bar? love those two. just mailed rosalis a care package this week. thanks...

Edmonton
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

Did you go to the disco? Just wondering how it was, was it busy, etc. No one seems to mention the disco in their reviews. Thanks! Less than two weeks til I'm on my way!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

I was wondering about the spa and if you went or talked to anyone who did? Also any nws on the deep sea fishing?

northern maine
Level Contributor
224 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

orange and candy---i went to both the spa and disco. the disco is very small. walls are all black, realy kind of odd. did not care for it at all. the spa, well, it was great. don't miss out on that. enjoy

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
923 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

Hi 3hotties, Did you do any tours ? If you did any info on it would be great.

From reading the reviews of this hotel, we should be fine, didn't really see anything negative besides the "shower" and bland food, which I don't have a big deal with... since food is such an individual "like or dislike"

Can you give us any details on "what you should of brought" but didn't and brought and shouldn't of ... thanks alot ... kat

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

We did the trip to Saona Island, one that shouldn't be missed. We left at 7:30 am and had about an hour an a half bus ride then took speed boats to the island with time to stop and snorkel in the Carribbean ocean. There was HUGE starfish. Once on the island you had time to swim, tan or explore. The buffet, which I was concerned about was great, lots of choice. They prepared BBQ chicken, pork steaks, fish, spaghetti and a bunch of different salads. We then took a catamaran back and boarded the bus. We stopped just outside of Higuey at a little shopping place. Although the day was long, we didn't get back until 7:30 pm I would recommend this tour. It was $82 US. We also went to Manati park (did not swim with the dolphins). We didn't stay long, but since it was only $25 it got us off the resort for awhile. I would not spend the extra $50 to swim with the dolphins, its a very small pool (think the size of an inground pool in someone's backyard) and you could smell chlorine (can't be good for the poor dolphins). we also paid $20 and went horseback riding for an hour. The horses were fun, although my backside is still hurting. We travelled up and down the beach, but if you have riden before get them to give you a fast horse. The normal horses pretty much just have one pace - slow! I haven't riden for about 10 years so I was a little nervous about taking a fast horse although the other 2 girls I was with did and I regretted it. As for the resort itself my only complaint was the food, yes you can always find something, but we did experience some sickness, nothing serious though. Service is great, no one on the resort expects a tip. I travelled to Cuba last year and found you had to tip before they would even consider getting you a drink. I work at a 5 star resort so I have pretty high expectations and the service at the Allegro was top notch! As for the bathroom door, yes it is glass and if you are tall (like me) you will be able to see out while you are in the shower, but since it was only 3 girls it didn't really matter. If I had to share a room with someone I didn't know that well, then the bathroom situation would have been a little uncomfortable. My only complaints about the DR are the shopping and the amount of garbage you will see off the resort. Shopping was STRESSFUL, the vendors will grab you as you are walking by and then try to sell you stuff at crazy amounts, you have to barter with them. If you leave the resort expect to see garbage every where, its something that I can't understand. There is just piles and piles of garbage all over the place. After all that I would still say we got a great deal at the Allegro and although I will probably never return (only because I want to see other places) I would not hesitate to recommend it. I have been home now for 1 day and already I'm experiencing beach withdrawal.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

As for items you should take - lots of sunscreen, its costs $25 US in the gift shop and take lots of different SPF's. Take some tums or pepto cause you probably will experience a little tummy difficulty your first few days. Take lots of snacks, they are very pricey and came in very handy while we were waiting to go to dinner. We took large insulated mugs, worked great but took up a lot of room in my beach bag. I would not bother taking a beach towel as they are provided. After reading some reviews I took about 4 pairs of pants and a couple of sweaters - don't bother it was way too hot for them. I found the coldest part of the day was between 5:30 and 6:30 pm and around 7 things got so humid and warm you can easily wear a skirt or shorts out at night.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
923 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

thanks 3 hotties, for the detailes on the tours and the hints, they were great.

Just one more question for now

Would dressy skorts be good enough for the buffet. or is it more formal then that. I know if we go to ala carte.. I would wear a dress. thanks again Kat

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

Dressy skorts would be fine for the buffet, trust me I saw some people who were very underdressed. I don't think they really enforce they dress codes that much since I saw a woman in there at lunch time with only a bathing suit.

PA
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Allegro PC

We were there the same time. Except for the clouds on and off, wasn't it great! I can't believe I don't see Allegro more often on this site. We LOVED the shows every night. Met folks that stayed @ Sunscapes, they said the nightly shows were nothing they would like to see again. We loved the variety and talent of the "Fun Club". Carlos, the cut, tall dancer...wow...what a hottie!