We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

USA-Maine
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

I wanted to get a Hep A vaccine before I go to the Bavaro Princess, but it's going to cost me $90! I decided not to get it--do you think that I will be ok without it? We're not leaving until April 3rd. thanks

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

We're getting it. It was suggested by our local hospital travel dept. My primary care physician called the prescription in and I picked it up. He will give the shot. My insurance paid for it. There wasn't even a co-pay. Here's a link to the CDC frequently asked questions. Better to be safe than sorry.

cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/a/faqa.htm

vancouver,canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

Don't know if its available to you in the states but in canada you can apparently buy the vaccine at the drug store and administer it yourself in the arm. Much cheaper than at the clinic

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

I got my Hep A shot a few year ag, found out after that I could of gotten Hep A & B shots together, but it costs around $160 for the twin pack. (I believe B is a series of 3-4 shots)

One thing that I understand, is that you only have to get the shots once, don't know if this helps at all.

Winnipeg MB CANADA
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

My travel agent says that they are not recommending their clients to get it however it is our decision of course. I am leaving in just over a week and I don't think that I will. Many friends of mine have travelled to various locations including the DR and haven't. It is entirely possible that doctors recommend it because they can make money doing so. And in the states maybe if they don't recommend it and someone comes down with Hep A then there is a malpractice lawsuit. I know that people say that you should be safe than sorry but really if we were to apply that rule than we wouldn't be going in the first place........

Moncton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

Hi, my husband and I are going to Breezes Punta Cana Mar 19 and we just got the Hep A shot last week $85.00. All that I've talked to recommended that we get it. My grandmother said that $85.00 may seem like alot but if we should get infected we would then be willing to pay what it takes to get rid of it (she's a very wise woman). We went to a Travel Health Clinic . It was explained to us by the nurse...

Hep A is for diseases from food and water-1 shot before you go and then 6 months to a year later another as a booster and then you are good for life.

Hep B is for diseases from bodily fluids- shots same as above Twinrex is for both Hep A and B - $90.00- 2 shots (a month apart) before you leave , a another 6 month to a year as a booster and then good for life.

Hope this helps you. Have a great trip !!!!!!

london, uk
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

its free here

Far From Nutjobs
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

kkatt,

Thanks for that bit of info stating it is a once in a lifetime vaccination. I know that I received Hep A and B when I was in the military but was not sure of the exact time. If this is the case, I guess it doesn't matter when I received them. Whew, 2 less things to worry about. My husband is in the military so all of his vaccinations + are up to date.

Now.....what about my 5 yr old? Besides the malaria pills, is anyone getting any/ all other meds for their kids also?

USA-Maine
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

Thanks for the advice! Perhaps I will call my insurance co. to see if they will pay for it. I also live close to the Canadian border--maybe I can see if I can purchase one in the drug store as one person suggested. Does anyone know for sure if you can purchase it OTC in Canada? Thanks again.

kek
Lake in the Hills...
Level Contributor
43 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

I just got my Hep A booster as advised by my doctor. I got the Hep B about ten years ago (just in case you know!) and have been told by my doctor that for people who travel outside North America it's a good thing to get a booster every other year on the Hep A as a precaution. My insurance covers it as part of the office visit.

My doctor uses the anlaogy of Hep A is a nasty unpleasant disease that is easily preventable but not that easy to treat. Malaria is an unpleasant disease that is very treatable but the prevention methods are almost as unpleasant as the disease. Hope this helps!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ***Hepatitus A Vaccine--Who's getting it?)***

I seen your posting and I have a friend of mine who is a nurse,so I gave her a call....

She said that after the hep A shot, you are good for life.

Hep B, she said is good for approximately 7-10 yrs. Before they give you another Hep B shot, they will take a blood test to verify there is none left in your system. (Some peple it lasts longer then others.)

For Canadians, phone your local health unit, they will explain it good for you.. (at no charge)

For people from the states, not sure who you would call to verify info.

kat