We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness at Bahia

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
calgary
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sickness at Bahia

Ok I am starting to get a little scared about eating at the Bahia. I have read soooo many postings that have said they have got sick from the food at this resort. One even said this was the hotel #1 problem, hygiene of their food.

Can anyone out there reassure me that this hotels food is ok and won't make me sick as long as a make sensible choices?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickness at Bahia

Hi!

Unfortunately that cannot be assured to you. In the past weeks there have been several threads about this topic and the devastating symptoms experienced by many unfortunate vacationers. It's a true shame. Many people have been informed by their agents that "all is well" only to return home with stomach / intestinal problems landing some in hospital. It does not surprise me in the least, the food handling / hygiene issue as it has been my thought from the start.

Nakkie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickness at Bahia

djtomes-- Most of us share your concerns on any resort in the DR--from what I have read (only been to the DR once about 4-5yrs ago at PPlata), the problem seems to be that out North American conditioned stomachs are not used to the sudden change in diet--Some people have suggested that to counteract this effect, they purposely take stuff here about 1-2 weeks before they go and keep doing it for 1 week after they get back--that way, your stomach is I gather better able to adjust to the sudden change in diet--As to what the stuff to take is, I forget--but if you search for sickness notes on either this Forum or on Debbies' I think you will find what I am referring to.

I am inclined to doubt that this issue is confined to Bahia but that is just a gut feel on my part.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickness at Bahia

There can be no guarantees, it is a gamble!!!

Try to educate yourself about the resort, and if you do decide to go, use common sense - if the food looks disgusting, don't eat it. If the salad has been out for a long time, skip that too!

Bring your own thermal mug, so you don't have to worry about if the glasses are clean, and bring anti-bacterial lotion in case you go somewhere - even off property that doesn't have hand washing facilities. Another good suggestion is those disposable Clorox wipes if you want to give any surfaces a wipe down in your room if there is any question about it cleanliness.

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickness at Bahia

Please see my response to DR Virgin regarding the recent illnesses at Bahia Principe. I've e-mailed them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickness at Bahia

djtomes,

I just thought I'd let you know that a group of 20 of us were there recently and none of us got sick and believe me we ate and drank everything! I don't think some people realize that just from extra fruit in the diet and fruits not usually eaten can cause problems as well as the coconut drinks which are basically like drinking metamucil if you have too many. Don't worry. You'll have a good time.

beachykeen

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickness at Bahia

the e-coli bacteria are different in different parts of the world. (Montezuma's revenge) for example when the Pan-American games came to our home town, many of the South American people got sick from our e-coli. I got sick last year in Punta Cana. this year i am going to try the yoghurt culture thing probiotic (health food stores) wish me luck!.

mississauga, ontario
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickness at Bahia

Hi DJ tomes-

the probiotic that others are referring to is called FLORASTOR. You can get it over the counter at any pharmacy here. Also apparently acidopholus is apparently supposed to be a really good probiotic and promotes healthy intestinal flora. (I work for a gastroenterologist).

I am going to the Bahia with a group of 12 in January, and these reviews are really starting to worry me. Especially since four of the 12 of us are young kids.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Please post what a great trip you had as soon as you get back!!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sickness at Bahia

A few tips we learned and have worked for us (knock on wood):

After you go through the buffet line, use hand sanitizer before touching your food. Think of how many people have touched the serving spoons!

We take Acidophilus one month prior to our trip.

We eat one Pepto Bismal tablet prior to each thing we eat - studies I have read prove that the bismuth aids in killing bad bacteria.

Stay away from the fruit. It looks yummy, but you can eat that at home.

Take Cipro along in case you do get sick (I know, some people grumble about antibiotic resistance, blah blah, but if I am sick, I want medication to make me feel better)

Eat where it is air conditioned if possible.

Eat early when food is first put out.

Don't drink to many drinks with coconut milk, a natural laxative.

Drink lots of bottled water and never from the tap.

Good luck, and I hope you all stay well.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sickness at Bahia

Clarification: I meant to eat one Pepto prior to each meal, not with each thing you eat! Your tongue and BM's will be a different color, but it is worth it.

10. Re: Sickness at Bahia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 18, 2009