We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i'm affraid of mosquitos....

Quebec
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
i'm affraid of mosquitos....

i'm going to grand paradise bavaro the 9 dec for 2 weeks...should i take some medication to prvent malaria...???

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

"iam afraid of mosquitos" ... how do you manage to live in Canada? lol

michelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

I've stayed at the Grand Paradise twice and have never had a problem with mosquitos. Once was in April/May and once in Nov/Dec. I was at the Grand Paradise not the Club Grand Paradise so if you are going there it may be different.

Quebec
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

Michelle....les Moustique ne me derange pas du tout...mais la malaria oui....g attendu dire que les moustique en Abitibi etais gros comme des 5 cent

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

your right there are mosquitos in this area can eat a moose. lol In our area we have to worry about west nile virus, they found a couple of dead crows with it in Temicaming. u got to use the same precautions as with malira. something with a strong deet concentration. At least there is a "vaccine" for Malaria theres non for west nile virus

michelle

Quebec
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

Yes Michelle there is something you can take for a week before until 2 weeks after...it's a pill....

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

yes peter i know about the malaria pill, i was say what a shame that there is NONE for west nile. what we got to worry about in canada

michelle

Quebec
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

Michelle...we should move to Yukon...there is no mosquitos there....but it's very cold yarkkk....

are you going to Punta Soon?

Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

unfortunitly iam not going to puerto plata intil April (so sad). I can not wait. the bonus about puerto plata i dont need the malaria tablets!!! As my name states Iam getting married there. But iam looking into the twinex (hep a and b) shots. I got 2 out of 3 when i was in college so i have to start all over again. I won't be finished in time of april but hopefully it will give me some sort of protection, got to call the doctor. and iam also thinking of taking Dukoral.

michelle

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
89 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

I'm afraid of tigers but I do want to go to Africa.

lol

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i'm affraid of mosquitos....

PeterQuebec,

Drink lots of gin and tonics...(NO JOKE)! Tonic contains quinine which is the treatment for Malaria. Salud!!! (like I needed another reason to drink more gin and tonics...)lol.