We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langhorne
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

Just returned on the 22,any questions about the traveling just ask,we stayed at the Punta Cana Grand.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

I was presented with the choice of PC Grand and the hotel I ended up choosing. My TA said I would like the one I went to better because of the beach alone. Now to find out exactly what he meant by that, I will ask you. Was the sand powdery white and the water turquoise? or beige and water blue...

Langhorne
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

The sand was beige and water blue,but neither of the 2 were a deciding factor for me.The beach was beautiful regardless of it's color.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

thank you Duttchie, I have a better picture now.

Lindsay, Ontario
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

Well, I'm getting nervous about this resort! This is the first time my husband and I have travelled this distance. This trip costs us a pile of money (in my eyes) and I hope we have a great time?????I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1)Bugs, what kind of bugs, Im from Canada, we have mosquitoes, flies, etc. Are we talking big, ugly bugs, or little bugs like sand flies, and buggee bugs?As you can tell Im not a "bug" person.

2)The rooms, should we take extra towel, face cloths, etc?

3)What was the weather like, we are going in early Jan. I will not be a happy camper if it rains for seven days.

4)Any pointers you can give us "first time" people from Canada?

Thanking you!

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

Question: As an American, will I have to pay a fee to both enter and depart from Punta Cana? If so, how much is each? Thanks!

Langhorne
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

To answer the bug question,I never saw the mosquitoes,just felt them.I just used regular off and that worked fine.I sparayed myself at dusk and carried it with me.Don't forget the toes!!! We always washed out our cups,if we took drinks back up to our rooms so we woulndnt attrack any ants.We were on the 3rd floor too.There is no elevators thought.Just an FYI! I didnt reall y see any gross unusual bugs.

Towels,I just called and asked for extra and they brought them too me.I don't know what weather is like in January,but we would have beautiful sunny skies and then one little rain shower out of no where.Very common there in the tropics.The average temp in Oct was 80-83 but felt like 90.We only used 30 spf but applied often.I packed a dollar store raft cause they offered no flotes,I was glad i packed it,I left it with the nice people we met.

Langhorne
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

I forgot about the few, from the U.S. My husband and I only paid 10 dollars each going in.Supposedly if you stay longer then 2wks you have to pay leaving.We heard so many different stories,we set 20 each aside for coming home and were not asked to pay it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

Thanks for the info.!

Pittsburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

We just returned on November 6. Stayed for a week. We loved it very relaxing. To answer a few of your questions:

Bugs-- not too bad. Mosquitos at sunrise on beach and also at night. We took spray but never used it. Small lizards running around. Be on the look out for taranulas, saw 2 dead ones.

Towels- could have used more bath towels. We never asked for any if we did they would have been there. It rained really hard overnight and our bathroom got a little flooded. We stayed on the 3rd floor. Could have used more towels then. Maids and in room bar staff and room service great.

Turn your fridge on immediately. Takes a while to get cold. Ask for water and juice in your fridge. Also serve beer and sodas. Need alot of bottled water for brushing teeth. And keeping hydrated.

Staff-is great. Everyone very polite. Everyone stays Hola to you. Very clean rooms grounds, restaurents, pool, and beach. We took gifts withs us. Chocolate bars, bubblegum, chips. Left for maids, lotions, gels, hair barettes and manicure sets. Would suggest taking baseball hats for men, big sport fans! Crayons, coloring books, sport t-shirts.

Entertainment is fabulous. Everynight there is a show in the theatre. Micheal Jackson and Karoke Night were our favorite. Perfom at pool and on beach during the day. Usher was our favorite staff member. Parties on the beach are the funniest. Go to the disco at least one night.

Vendors are set up by front lobby every other night. 6-7 tables and one by the Seaside Grill. A little pushy. Just say No Gracis. Walked down the beach to a market place. Very pushy everyone wants you to buy from them. I would suggest going to one store and buy everything there. We may have paid a little more than we should have, but the experience was fun.

There is a little tan dog that lives by the boats and kayaks on the beach. I learned of him from another post member. She nicknamed him Sandy. He is there waiting for you. Very sweet and loving. Hated to leave him. We took hamburgers from bar-b-que on beach and bottledwater to him everyday. Look for him when you go. I saw other people petting him. So he is taken care of. He wont follow you far. Never goes past the boat staff. Take care of him!! We should have packed dog biscuits.

If you have any questions you may email me.

I know before I left I had a ton of questions.

burger320@verizon.net

nobleton, ontario
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got Back from Punta Cana,any questions?

duttchie,

i was wondering if you could suggest a hotel that would be great travelling with 2 kids 7 & 5. keep in mind we want a 4 1/2 to 5 star hotel.

Thanks