We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

Indiana
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

I have read much about management changing the first of the year and have been very concerned about deficiencies in the quality of accommodations & service being so close to the transfer from AM Resorts. My wife and I are traveling there for our 20th anniversary. (This is the honeymoon we never had.) Is there anyone else traveling there at that time that would recommend it, or was this a bad choice???

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
818 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

I would change my plans if I were you. My husband and I got married at Secrets back in July. We would not go back. It breaks our hearts that we had a bad experience because we would have loved to have gone back for anniversary trips, and such. We are very easy going people, and we are not hard to please at all, but the downsides of Secrets were big ones. We have been to several places in the Carribbean and we have loved every one of them. Secrets was the most we have ever spent on a trip, and it's the only place that we had big complaints about. If you can change your plans, I would recommend it. There are just way too many beautiful places out there that take much better care of their property and their guests. Happy travels!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

sfrank:

I have received emails from many people who have recently returned from Secrets...not one bad experience in all those emails.

My husband and I were there in January...had an awesome vacation! We are going back on November 3rd for a 10-night stay. I know several people who will be at Secrets within the next month. If I hear of any bad experiences, I will be sure to post them on this forum. I also plan to post "Live At Secrets" on this forum while I am at the resort next month.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about! A few months prior to our January departure, the reviews for Secrets were less than positive. Like you, I had concerns. My concern were unfounded...Secrets is now our favorite travel destination.

If you would like a copy of my map and review of Secrets, send me an email and I will forward them to you!

Brenda :~)

tomandbrendamiller@msn.com

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

I have been to many all-inclusives and Secrets is the best and most romantic I have been to. I have been there 3 times. Many other people on this forum will confirm what I am saying. The manager of Secrets will remain till the end of the year to make sure guests have a great vacation and that there is no slack-off before the change. He is a very guest oriented manager and I am sure that your stay at Secrets will be wonderful. There are alot of people on this forum going in November and December. I wanted to go in December but schedule wouldn't allow it. You have made a great choice and will have a great honeymoon. Make sure you have the Honeymoon dinner in the Mexican restaurant. Make reservations when you arrive. It's great and under the stars in the center courtyard.

ohio
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

Secrets was by far our most favorite and romantic hotel

By the way, we have stayed at Sandals, Palace Resorts, Riu Hotels and many other all inclusvies

We would stay at Secrets Punta Cana again in a heartbeat! And we only had the basic gardenview room

No complaints from us!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

I just got another email from a person who arrived home from Secrets last night. While I won't copy and paste her entire email to me (because I didn't ask her permission), I will give you a few tidbits:

"It was wonderful, perfect, couldn't have asked for better."

"There was no waiting for anything."

"The resort was even better than I remembered."

This person got sick the day before she was to return home...got Vertigo...no fault of Secrets. She was in a Dominican hospital for 3 days. She was very pleased at how Marco (General Manager) and his staff handled her unfortunate interruption in her vacation. Here is a little of her email to me:

"I can't begin to tell you how well Secrets and Apple treated us during this. I think everybody came to see me in the doctors office including Marco."

'Secrets kept calling (husband's name omitted) to check on me while he stayed at a hotel near the hospital. Then Secrets sent a car to get us and bring us back to the resort until I was released to fly on Monday.'

"They couldn't have been better to us. I felt like I had dozens of Mothers watching out for me. Even the busboys were carrying my food and the waitresses just kept bring me coke (it helped settle my tummy)."

sfrank:

I don't think you need to be concerned about 'deficiencies in services'.

Brenda :~)

Beverly, MA
Level Contributor
558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

sfrank,

We were there in April and had a GREAT time. Read the last 50 - 75 reviews. LOTS of positive stuff to read. Skip over the "not a place for singles" reviews or the ones that complain about the rough water at the beach..obviosly they did not do there homework.

Go have a GREAT time!!

PlayaBoy

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

We were at Secrets a couple of weeks ago, our 3rd stay. The hotel and grounds are still lovely - there had been several reports that said everywhere looked a bit tired and grounds looked unkempt, they must have had a tidy-up before we went, it looked perfect. The staff were as great as usual, the food was good. It's very romantic and overall a lovely hotel.

However, all the nice touches that made Secrets for us an exceptional hotel rather than just a good hotel had been stopped by the current management - in a 2 week period we had no towel sculptures, no flowers round the wash basin, no newsletter, no turndown, no choice of wine, no guitar men/singers at tables, no pizzaman on the beach, never saw a honeymoon banner on a door, no lobster, no piano player in the buffet, etc, etc. In themselves all sound petty, but in made a big difference overall. The hotel was about 25% full, we were initially put in a room that had a view of the side wall of the Bordeaux restaurant and roof that smelt vile. Yes we were moved as soon as I asked and the second room was lovely - but it should not happen when the hotel is empty! I feel that the management at present is poor.

We had planned before this stay to go for our honeymoon in May but following this stay we will be giving it a miss. We loved Secrets so much in the past we have been looking at Excellence Riviera in Mexico which has just reverted to the owners, from reviews it appears that overnight all the little touches that Secrets used to have are back! We will be keeping an eye on those reviews and will probably be going there instead and maybe back to Secrets PC in 2008 if things improve.

I personally wouldn't reccommend going until the new management/owners take over, but if you already have a booking and haven't been before to know what has changed, it would be perfectly nice.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

Does anyone know who the new owners and/or management will be in 2007? What will be the new name?

London
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

check out the website here

excellence-resorts.com/all-inclusive-resorts…

sorry, i don't know how to do links...

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Excellence Dec 17-22-2006, Good choice or Mistake???

Thanks, Sharpiejts for the link. Do you know if this will still be operated by AM Resorts or is the operator considered "Excellence" or another company?