We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing-what?

Slovenia, EU
14 posts
Save Topic
Packing-what?

I'm traveling to DR next week with my 18 months old son and husband! Can you help me with information about what to pack especially for my little son: medicine, diapers, toys.

Thanks in advance

Vernon BC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing-what?

I would recommend that you speak to your health care professional to see if there would be special considerations for your little one as it seems to me they have less tolerance before the age of 2 immune wise ...I have seen mini pop up tents which work well on the beach or around the pool...Be sure you have good sunscreen and insect repellant...if you are bringing a stroller then get a bug screen for it if your child will be napping in it...In the tropics you can never tell when the bugs will be active. Tempra for fever or sunsickness, something for tummy upsets, all the diapers, wipes and skin creams that you normally would use in a week at home. Remember the resort may be 5***** but the country is poor and you may not find what you need at the convenience store on property.You can check with a naturapath or similar but little ones sometimes experience pain on take off and landing because they can't chew gum or suck on a candy or talk to keep their ear canals open...I have heard that using garlic oil capsules and puncture then squeeze into the babies ears and add cotton balls helps...Hope this helps...I am sure it will be a wonderful trip for you ...when is a child happier than at the beach?

Slovenia, EU
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing-what?

Thanks a lot for your mail. I found it very usefull. I'm a little bit worried about the diarea. Seems to me that almost all visitors in DR ends up with it. I got few tips about awoiding this problem, esspecially:allways use bottled water, peel off the friut skin, don't eat the salads... But we all know that little ones bring a lot of different stuff to their mouth:))). I guess I'll deal with this problem when it hapens. I'm really happy that we are going there instead all data about the damage that hurricane did. But till then I have some shopping to do-I need a tent (a very good advice-thanks). I thought that a cap would do, but the idea of a small tent on the white sandy beach is just great.

Have you been to Dominicana yet?

Lea

kansas city, MO
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing-what?

Dont't eat the salads????

just leaf or every kind or what???

Why??

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing-what?

Make sure you bring plenty of everything you need. The on resort prices can be very high (chap-stick $8 when I went in the spring). You may want to bring some type of front or back pack type device to carry the baby. Both times I went to Punta Cana, all the walkways were poured concrete, made to look like cobblestone. A carrage with small wheels would probably be very bumpy! You may want to bring arm floaties or a sit in tube for the pool. Also, disposable pull-up swim pants for infants.

Have fun!

Slovenia, EU
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing-what?

Well, as I read the massages of people who allready have been in DR, they suggest that we don't eat salads, if they are made from vegetable that's not cooked. Because all the vegetables are cleaned with non-bottled water. Because of that many people had diarea in DR-by their doctor's opinion.But don't be scared, if you want to eat salad just clean it again with the bottled water (there's plenty of it) and you should be all right. And drink at least one alcohol drink (coctail or wiskey) per day.My son doesn't like the salads anyway, so I will not worry about it. I'm afraid other things-he loves to put different stones (small) in his mouth.I guess he thinks that they are tasty.I will bring some flotable toys with me. He really likes to swimm alone just with"that flowtable things" on his hands. I just can't remember the exspression for them in English. I hope you understand my mail, cause the english part is not so good.Thank for all your massages.Lea

white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing-what?

The best floaty device you can get for your son is called a swim sweater. It is made by a company called swimways. It will allow him to float freely, without you holding on to him. Of course you have to be within arms reach, but it is absolutely the very best. My children who are 7 and 10 are excellent swimmers today because of the swim sweater. There are many companies who try to copy it, but none are as good. It is worth its weight in gold. Believe me. It teaches water confidence, and many people have gone and bought them after they saw my babies in them. Can wear them till about 3 years old, and they are not expensive. Maybe you can order them on line.

Have a great vacation.