We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

France
11 posts
Save Topic
Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

Hello to everybody

I'm posting from France, so please excuse my poor english... ;-)

We have booked in Bahia Principe Punta Cana, for 3 weeks, in May. We have collected some reviews about this resort and we have read there are some problems of robbings in the safety cases in the room. It seems that the room key opens alsa the safety cases, without any others safety process to close them (digital code, or steel key). So, a simple pass-key as the housekeepers or men of maintenance have is enough to open the coffer.

Have you heard anything about that ? or anybody complained ?

According to the price (30 $ per week) it doesn't seems possible to be anxious about that during hollidays.

Does somebody know if it is possible to add to the coffer a lock with a chain ?

Is it possible to deposite money, passport and fly return ticket at the main lobby.

Thank you very much to everybody for your answers.

Bye Bye from France :-))

PS : here, it is snowing a lot and we are in a hurry to get warm sand, warm water, warm breeze and warm sun !

Edmonton, AB Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

We had been told while there that the safe was $25 per week. We chose to find a safe place to hide our money in the room using duct tape........my jewellery was kept in one of the drawers, my camera often left out and we had nothing missing. The guy that filled the bar for us though took his tip from the fridge and than one of the 1$ we left for the maid, we had come back to the room to find she only had a $1 tip left for her so we started leaving it partially under the pillow with the blanket semi pulled up to block direct visibility of her tip, but visible to her when she made up the bed.

France
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

hello sheryl !

Thanks a lot for your answer. Did you notice if it is possible to add to the coffer a lock with a chain to make it safer - or is it possible to close it with a digital code ?

Idon't think the maid or guy who fills up the bar would risk itself to rob something in the room.

the risk would come from a person who has nothing to do in the room and would have got a pass key opportunely.

Please tell me if you have heard something about some one who has been robbed in the room during your stay.

I am not a paranoiac man, I travel since 1989 every year all over the tropical islands in the world and I never had any problem but it seems there are some in this resort....

Thank you for your answer and the answers of everybody who has stayed in the Bahia Principe Punta Cana Resort.

Bye-bye:-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

I am also concerned that the "safe" is not very "safe", if anybody who can access your room can acess the safe (with the same card). From what I have read, this seems to be the case.

My family and I will be at the Bahia Principe in March. I have a suitcase that locks, and am thinking about leaving some valuables locked in the suitcase. I don't think anybody would steal the whole suitcase, and might not want to take the time to break into the suitcase. However, I realize this is not a great solution either.

I suppose the best plan is to bring as few valuables as possible.

I am really surprised that the resort would be so stupid to have the same key that opens your door, also open your safe. This really puts their staff at risk too (for being falsely accused of stealing from the safe).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

I just read a post on "the other" DR website. It suggested that if you pay to use the safe in your room, that they add some special programming to your room card, that allows your room card (only) to access the safe. Apparantly, the staff that work at the resort, do not have this special programming on their cards, and as such, can access your room, but not your safe.

I sure hope this is true!

Edmonton, AB Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

This is true Stogey, in order to operate the room safe one of the people in reception adds a private password into his computer that allows the card to operate, you pick your own code to access the safe. The same room card is inserted into the slot and your personal code punched in, it looks somewhat like a microwave oven so no you cannot add an additional lock. I did not hear of any thefts while we were there, in fact we chose not to use the safe after we had indicated we would be interested. Because of this the reception guy had asked us to come and write a note to this affect so that he would not be liable........they are under pretty tight scrutiny and their jobs are on the line so it is doubtful anyone would steal from your room. Other than the bar stocker taking one of the maids dollars I don't consider that a theft......he was just adding a bonus to his tip from hers. I did hear a rumor that someone had been robbed before we got there, chances are they spent their own money and just didn't keep track. Good jobs are hard to come by in Dominican and working at the resort is considered a good job so I really, really do not think anyone working there would take the chance of being fired.

toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

i am not sure exactly how the safe can be broken into with just any random key... but i guess anything is possible.

after we programmed the safe with our own PERSONAL secret code by sliding in the key card and then punching in our numbers, we DID NOT need to use the key card at all. thereafter, we opened the safe by just punching in our personal code.

we opted to rent the safe because the hotel is responsible ONLY FOR STOLEN THINGS INSIDE THE SAFE. ie. if your $ is stolen from inside your luggage they are not liable, but if someone emptied out your safe the hotel is responsible.

we did not hear of any break-in's during our stay, either.

France
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

Thank you very much Wacky, Sherryl and Stoqey for your very quick answers and explanations. I feel much better now and have understood how it works.

That did not seem to me probable that such a resort proposes only a card key without anything else like a personnal code.

I was anxious because I have read that in a review of a Montr��al people who seemed to be very angry about this Resort ; I wonder he is a person from another Resort and wants to discredit this new resort which becomes to be famous.

I will be more serene now with what you have told to me.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

I have booked for three weeks from half May in the goldenclub.

Bye-bye. I shall continue to follow your posts about this Resort

;-))))

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

Hi Made in France. I find it hard to believe that someone had something stolen from a LOCKED safe but I guess you never know. One thing I noticed about the safe was that the code did not always work the first time or if the door was not held shut when entering the code, it might not be securely locked. This happened to us once but fortunately nothing was taken. We learned after that to always tug on the door after locking the safe to ensure that it was truly locked. Also remember that the door to your room is open quite a lot during the day while the maid is going in and out of the various rooms performing her duties. It is just as possible for another tourist to enter your room and remove items (not that they would) but it is possible.

toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

enjoy your stay madeinfrance!! 3 weeks! my am i JEALOUS!

i read that review too, and i feel really bad for them to have had things stolen. but as lovetheocean said it's quite possible they forgot to lock the box, or didnt lock properly.

it's always good to exercise caution - but i can promise you there is no need to be paranoid! cheers.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems of robbings in Bahia Principe Punta Cana ?????

Hi, we were at Bahia in Feb and used the safe all week and had no problems-you use your own code to open it and no code to close it-it was fine.