We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

the difference would be between that and ones geared towards Americans?

I've seen some reviews where the reviewer stated that a resort is geared to Europeans. I haven't traveled much and have no idea what this means.

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Hi again WatchingF1,

I am not sure exactly what that phrase means...but I saw on your other post that you were considering Sunscape The Beach. I can tell you that they are managed by AMresorts which is based out of Philadelphia.

I have been to both SUNscape Casa Del Mar and SUNscape The Beach ....CDM 7 times and STB just this past August. I find their managers at each resort very guest oriented...always ready to listen and help. I have never had a problem with speaking only English as my spanish is minimal...if there was a language problem with a server or maid there was always someone nearby to help me out...

The food and services were to my liking at both.

I think some resorts may be marketed more to Europeans than to Americans. I have always traveled with Apple Vacations and picked 4 or 5 Apple Resorts and been happy with my choices.

I hope this helps a little.

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

baltobabe@comcast.net

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

I've traveled a good bit and I have no idea what this means...LoL. I have enjoyed three trips to the DR and there have been many Europeans at all places so I guess if the resorts were geared toward Europeans...well I guess I like it that way...LOL

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Wow, WATCHING, what a question!!! It will surely get some interesting replies. To the best of my knowledge and from my own observations with one stay at a resort that caters to Euros, I will attempt to explain without offending. First, a resort that caters to Euros does so because the visitors are overwhelmingly from Europe. I would say only about 10% of travelers to PC are American. Additionally, most, if not all of the resorts in PC are owned by European companies. The Europeans discovered paradise first! Therefore, my second point, on some resorts the staff speak mainly Spanish and other Euro languages. If you are lucky, they speak English as well. Third, catering to Euro could also mean that the women sunbathe and walk the beaches topless and the men wear banana hammock bathing suits. My final thought on what it means to cater to Euros would be with regard to the food. At the Euro resort I stayed at, cold cuts were on the breakfast buffet. Apparently, this is European. Finally, remember Europeans found paradise first. It has only become popular with American tourists in the last few years.

PRIZE

P.S. Sure hope that was as politically correct as I hoped it would be.

maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

I had no idea what it meant either.

Baltobabe, thanks for responding again, you've got mail.

maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Prize,

Thanks for the response.I think you made a lot of good points.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Your welcome! When and where are you planning on going to PC?

maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Going 10/30/06 - 11/06/06

Still shopping around for the best deal.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,894 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

That is a good question and one that should be easy to answer. First off the travel industry is seasonal. During summer months travellers tend to cross oceans to spend thier vacation. Euro's come here( the west side of the ocean) and North Americans the other way. In the winter months, travel on both continents are more north and south.

With this in mind, during the summer months you will see an increase in European guests, which in turn falls off to a trickle in the winter. All resorts tend to cater to all, but at times seasonal adjustments are made.

FYI....Canada and the US make up the overwhelming total of all guests to the D.R. and othe Caribbean islands.

Hope that clears up any misconception!!!

Majestic Mike

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Vienemo,

Your explanation was interesting. I was under the impression from the posts on TA that the overwhelming majority of visitors are from Europe. I stand corrected.

PRIZE

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,894 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts geared towards Europeans. Can someone explain what

Another difficulty is that most latin countries speak Spanish as a mother tongue. I have seen Puerto Ricans, Chileans, Argentinians and Venezuelans mistaken for European guests.

At the same time, it is great to see people from around the world, forgeting about borders and expanding thier knowledge through interaction with each other....very refreshing....!!!!