We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should/could you have left behind?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
What should/could you have left behind?

Here's putting a different twist on the packing question: what did you pack that you did not need?

I'm hoping this will save me some travel weight and space =),

j.

belfast
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

jal12345

clothes

between my fiance and i we only packed one sports bag, but we still had too too many clothes.

during the day we wore nothing but our swimming things (too warm for anything else)

i should have just brought one or at most two evening dresses, the hotel did the laundry and most of my outfits didnt get aired!

also, dont bring beach towels, the resorts provide them and launder them. we saw people with their own beach towels and i thought, what a waste of packing space.

i would advise not to take jewellery/ fashion accessories and just approach your presentation with a more relaxed attitude - youre on your holidays!

finally, we wore tee shirts,jogging bottoms and trainers on the flight, and got these laundered for the days we went out on trips, and then laundered for wearing home - i reckon most people definately take too many shoes and clothes

have a great time

l.

belfast
Level Contributor
302 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

ps

you asked me about haggling before, well, maybe theres another thing you could leave behind ----- too many dollars

you can get whatever you want for whatever price you wanna pay, really, just stick to your guns!

we only brought about 100 dollar bills, some of it went on trips,most on tips, and i got all my souvenirs for the remainder of my dollars on the day before we left----- i was not going to take more money out of an atm and i was really pleased with what i got for my haggling!

hope this helps

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

it does - thanks so much! =) As a woman, I sympathize with the over-packing issue.

Anyone else?

Manchester MI
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

I laid all of my things out yesterday and told myself to put back 1 outfit and 1 dress, It was a tough decision but I did it, I always think I need an outfit for everyday, but I do just fine with less.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

I took the advice of someone on these boards when I went, pakced my stuff and then got rid of half....and I still had too much. All I had was a carry on bag too.

I too lived in my bathing suit/wrap all day, and then I would change in the evening. I even brought something dressy to wear and never ended up wearing it. I didn't see too many people dressed up either.

I didn't take any jewellery with me either, or beach towels.

Next time I'm taking a back pack and that's it!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

I've decided for next time that I will only bring 2 pair of capri and maybe like 4 tops and rotate them.

I ended up doing that this time and didn't wear half of what I brought.

I'm also not bringing my hair dryer since they have one in the room, even thought it's not the best or my hair straightner.

Will certainly bring a hat for my husband. He refused to take what I had gotten him and ended buying one for a mucho dollar. Why he doesn't listen to me I don't know.

I did bring way too many shoes. I would only take a pair of flip flops, and sandal to wear in the evenings, and maybe a pair of tennis shoes.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

I probably am guilty of over-packing! I had 2 "evening" dresses plus 1 skirt and a couple of dressy tops for evening. I had a couple pairs of shorts with t'shirts for breakfast and 3 swimsuits and wraps. 2 pairs of flip-flops and 2 pairs of sandals.

The thing is I like to dress up a bit in the evening - was stunned to see people at supper wearing exactly what I had seen them in on the beach! AND I have a thing about people going to any meal in a swimsuit - Ick! It also depends on the resort - some insist that you are dressed - ie a shirt on for meals and some want slightly more dressier wear in the evening.

I left all fancy jewelry at home but went to Claires beforehand and bought a bunch of cheap, pretty holiday type earrings and flowers for the hair.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

take out 3/4 of your clothes. I packed one large suitcase and used very little of it. Also, be careful of your checked luggage in the airport. I had something stolen from mine either in Punta Cana or Miami as it was gone when I got to Charlotte.

upper darby pa.
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What should/could you have left behind?

i don't know what i could have or should have but i can tell you what i am , cold snow work kids bills worry's and troubles,did i miss anything.