We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria meds

upper darby pa.
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
malaria meds

trying to get a feel for who is taking the meds i leave in week need to calculate my chances

Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria meds

see the post above this one.....

"HAVE you ever taken Chloroquine - Novo-Chloroquine?"

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria meds

We leave in 3 weeks and have decided against taking the meds as most people who have come back from Punta Cana have commented on the fact that:

a) They saw maybe one mosquito

b) The resorts spray every day

c) Haven't heard any other problems through the media

Have a good trip.

London UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria meds

Hi all,

Uk goverment figures state that all people that contracted malaria that reurned from the Dr Last three months (about 12 europeans) NONE of these had taken the preventative medication, that fact alone made my mind up.

We took them without a problem, and are still taking them as we have only just returned.

Warsaw, Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria meds

Per my doctor's advice, I am starting on the meds in a couple of weeks. We leave April 1 for Secrets. Even though there have been no cases reported there, I feel that for $10, it's better to be safe than sorry. Have you consulted with your doctor about your trip?

PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria meds

we leave in 3 days and started the pills saturday and then take one very saturday for the next 5 weeks (6weeks total) i have no problems and either does the other 8 couples we are going with we all are taking them. 20.00 dollars is a lot better then just taking a chance. and now i have no worries

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria meds

were leaving next Thursday and have decided not to take meds, it seems really overrated as when you estimate how many people have been there since Sep (probably close to several hundred thousand) to now and only 21 have developed.. Where are you going?

Cee
Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria meds

We're taking the pills and we start tomorrow. 2 tomorrow, 2 next week while we are there and 2 the following 2 or 3 weeks after we return.

I'd be fine, not taking them either but it was highly recommended to me by the Heath Clinic doctor. Since my kids are taking them so am I. I think they have to push them b/c if they don't and someone comes down with it - they are to blame. The only real concern I had was the Hepititis A shot which we did get.

Whistler British...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria meds

Most of the 21 infected were staying in resorts in Punta Cana - many did not even leave on excursions - but the last case reported was infected on January 10th. So it has been 2 months.

Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria meds

upperdarbystud...

I have been on the fence all week about taking these bloody things...after reading several positive posts I think I am going to go ahead and try one tomight - I leave in a week - I'll let you know how it went tommorrow.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: malaria meds

I am going to be taking Larium as my doctor prescribed. This one is a once a week dose for two weeks before I go, once while there and three when I get back. I also decided to go with the accelerated twinrx Hep A and B vaccines. Even though I don't plan on exchanging blood or bodily fluids while ther, I work in healthcare and figured I might as well get the Hep B anyway. When getting your prescriptions, be sure to shop around to different pharmacies. They all have different dispensing fees which can make a difference of up to $10.00 as I discovered with the twinrx syringes. Costco and Superstore have the cheapest dispensing fees that I know of.