We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

We have been to Dreams Punta Cana twice now and love it and are close to booking for a 3rd time, i want to know how it compares to the Majestic Colonial as we may try somewhere new.

Has anybody been to both of these resorts ?

thanks

Chris

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

What was it you liked about Dreams PC?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

The pool is the best we have seen at any resort we have ever visited, also it is not too big and you don't need golf carts to get around, we loved the buffet here too. You could always get a bed by the pool without having to get up at a silly time to reserve them. Room service was also a big plus.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

I've stayed at Dreams Punta Cana twice. I haven't stayed at Majestic Colonial, but I've seen the pool and I think it's nicer than at DPC. They are similar in layout - the lazy river pool runs perpendicular to the beach, with room buildings on either side. The standard rooms are much bigger at Majestic than at Dreams Punta Cana.

If it's just adults, then take a look at Excellence Punta Cana. I realize it's more expensive, but depending on the time of year, they have promotions for Canadians on their website, so you might find it quite affordable, and it's at least a couple of notches above. It has easily the nicest pool I've encountered. The lazy river pool runs along the edge of the beach for about 1000 feet, and all of the rooms, lobby, bars, etc. are close to the beach. Much bigger rooms than at DPC, better food, premium liquor everywhere (including 5 bottles in your room), 24 hour room service, free wifi throughout the resort, and much better service. Lots of palapas and cabanas available all day. But no buffet for dinner - just for breakfast and lunch - except with the weekly beach party, and the pool soiree. 9 a la carte restaurants, and no reservations required.

For example, in May and June, I'm getting $2600 for 7 nights at Excellence, booking direct with them, and with WestJet separately (direct flights). For Dreams Punta Cana, on Expedia.ca, I'm seeing $2580. Unless you are bringing kids, it's far superior.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

Thanks Mark, we will be travelling with our 14 month old daughter so we want it to be family friendly, just like DPC is.

We noticed the resort layout and pool is very similar to DPC so that is what made us think about the Majestic Colonial.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,374 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

Ah, 14 months old. I glanced at your reviews of DPC, and didn't see mention of children. That would be why.

Mark

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
291 posts
6. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

Chris, After you are done reading the promo about Excellence I would like to comment. I have been to DPC 2 times and have many friends who have been to Majestic and we compare notes. My favorite resort is DPC. I like the layout of the restaurants, the activities they have on the beach, the beach itself being more isolated. Haven't been there since Breathless went in but you can also eat at Breathless although adults only. The consensus among my friends is that DPC wins out over Majestic but either would be a fine vacation. If unsure price may dictate but if you are returning to DPC for the 3rd time I am pretty sure you will receive some perks for being a returning guest.

Deer Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
920 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

been to majestic colonial twice and loved it pool is great runs through the entire property much like dreams but bigger, no need to take trolleys here you can walk anywhere you need to go in a short time not a huge resort which we also loved the rooms are really spacious and have canopy beds and jacuzzi tubs in all there standard junior suites, they also have a really nice kids club as well, we loved the resort and would return any day loved all the restaurants buffet etc. We never had a issue getting a chair at the pool or beach on either of our trips and did not have to get up early to get a chair, which is also a comfort, if I were somewhere else and wanted a change I would definitly go to majestic its a very nice resort

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

Having stayed at both I would choose Majestic every time.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

The only thing from your list that would be missing at Majestic is Room Service. I believe it is available only for limited hours when in the regular section.

There also are a couple a la cartes that require reservations at the MC. But with a 14 month old those probably wouldn't matter. One is for 12 and up only and the other is the Japanese cooking tables at the Asian restaurnant.

10. Re: Dreams Punta Cana v Majestic Colonial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 17, 2015