We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

First off, I am a trip advisor addict

For some reason (I drive a lot) and I think about the food situation at resorts.

I just came back from Cancun (Riu Palace) and was in Punta Can (Ocean Bavaro) in the spring. No matter what the place the food is so so.

Every resort has the dreaded buffet.

Not getting reservations at a "real" restaurant means getting banished to the buffet. So I got to thinking about why is this so bad?

Here you have this wide variety of "international" food and we all find it so bad (for the most part) and so repetitive.

I think that most Americans really crave comfort foods no matter where we go. This seems to be more true the longer we are from home.

THE SOLUTION:

If a resort wants to cater to americans why not open an american run restaurant right on the premises? Couldnt you find am american to set up and put together the menu and then find gringos to manage it? For example my place would be called Jim Bobs Park and Pork and would have BBQ.

Maybe no one would want to work there and run these? Maybe they would never pay enough to do this???

It wouldnt have to be a full blown fancy place but maybe just a bar and grill type set up with BBQ, hot wings, beer etc?

This could A: be a place of refuge and hanging out for Americans and anyone who wants to be there. B: this would satisfy a lot of complaints about food.

OK - thats all the crazy ideas I have for now

jim

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Now what makes you think the resorts want to cater to Americans? Perhaps they want to cater to Europeans or maybe us Canadians.

Nothing like a good Beaver steak, or some marinated Whale blubber to hold us over for the week.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Jumper280 ..you forgot the Moose Bacon!!! and the Goose egg omlette for breakfast.....And salmon jam for the toast.....The list is endless..

Safe Travels...Jimmy

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Most of the resorts in the DR are owned by European companies or European - DR partnerships. The only major exception is AMResorts which operates under contract a number of DR resorts and has had success with the US market with their more Americanized formula.

Speaking only for myself; if I want American I'll go to NY or CA or FL but in the DR give me DR and International. IMHO we don't need more Americanized resorts, just improving quality "International" resorts. I love the diversity - I've been to the US dozens of times and I love it too - but not in the DR.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Gregg

I have to agree somewhat. If you travel to Italy lets say, you probly dont want McDonalds (or at least not in theory) but .....

The funny thing is that after coming home from Mexico we where craving Mexican food.

We never went outside the resort but we never really found the good Mexican at the buffet.

The buffet is always kind of a combat sport. A nice taco stand would be Ok too (in Mexico)

what is good Domincan food anyway?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Lots of ideas here:

http://dominicancooking.com/

One of my favourites is sancocho, kind of a stew of a variety of meats and local vegetables in a savoury sauce. YUM - mi favorito!

As we are often in the DR near Semana Santa we often have habichuelos con dulce - but not too much, the base is bean puree with all of it's potentially undesirable side effects.

Gregg

wr
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

honestly there is not much good dominican food....

there is very little that is original. habichuela con dulce is good but dominican food is mediocore at best. i enjoy going to santo domingo and santiago and experiencing foreign food like outback steakhouse tony romas pizza hut dominos, wendys, taco bell, burger king macdonalds, pasta house etc. i enjoy thai, chinese, italian and lebanese food in the dr but i despise tipico food.

dominican food is for substinance only, there is no flavour or originality behind it. i do enjoy fried fish and lambi throughout the island but steak is a disaster and i need to take hot sauce with me where ever i go because dominican food is bland. mexico is way better for food and in puerto rico the american food is cheaper.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

Hey Guys, You all sound a little anti-American here! Nothing wrong with more Americans in PC. Seems the locals are asking for USD not the euro or canadian money. If our money is good enough, why can't we have more of our own comfort food as the author of this thread suggested?? Yes, I am traveling to a foreign land and yes I would like to enjoy some of there local food, culture and customs, but, if I wanted European food, I would go to Europe! American bashing is truly tiresome.

Proud to be American and love Punta Cana,

PRIZE

P.S. Noone wants us unless we are baling them out of a natural disaster or lending them money!

venlo nederlands
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

what is good american food ,a clubsandw,or surf and turf,or peacanpei. or perhaps a good bbq,?sounds nothing special to me,you get it all,except for the peacanpei.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

P.S. Noone wants us unless we are baling them out of a natural disaster or lending them money!

Any idea why that is?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My crazy idea about food at resorts -American BBQ or B&Grill

prizefromphilly,

IMHO you have taken comments about travel preferences and extrapolated them beyond their logical directions to arrive at anti-Americanism.

This is neither fair to the original commentators comments nor true to the context of the comments.

Just a tad paranoid, n'est pas?

Let's confine ourselves to travel and not be looking under stones for comments which can be molded to different agendas.

Jumper280,

At least in the eyes of this poster your comments are neither representative nor constructive. This is a travel board, please take your political comments elsewhere, at least from my perspective.

Gregg