We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

My wife and I will be vacationing at Secrets Excellence Punta Cana, on September 9th thru September 16th. We have been monitoring Trip Advisor and found that vacationers are not pleased with this resort. We vacation at Sandals three times a year and love it. When we book Sandals we always book the lowest category (deluxe), on our arrival and check- in, we tip extremely well and receive concierge level, at Secrets this would be considered Excellence club level.

My question is --------

When we arrive at Secrets Excellence Punta Cana who should we approach, and tip to receive Excellence club level.

Seeking a great vacation

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

I have been to 7 different Sandals, and never tipped anyone. Reason being at least at Sandals, that employee would get fired if caught. At the Sandals we have visited, we have been upgraded every time without tipping merely because we are SSG members. (returning guests). We were at SERC in January and booked an Excellence Club level. This November, we will be at SEPC, and booked at the lowest level. I have heard, that people have been upgraded to Excellence club level, depending on the availability. Others, if I remember right were offered that level for a price.( by this I mean for an addtional cost) There are alot of folks here that have been to SEPC, many times, and will give you more insight......Good luck

Easton, PA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

My friend and I are going to Secrets the same days, Sept 9-16th and we also are in PA. How ironic. Might be nice to meet up and just say hi to a "neighbor". Where are you flying out of and what flight are you taking. Would be so crazy if we are heading on the same flight.

Looking forward to a great time as well and very interested in hearing what other's reply to your inquiry.

Kerri

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

You will not be able to recevie the Excellence Club level by tipping well. You will need to pay extra for it. Secrets does not use tips in that manner. It is okay to tip employees, but that would constitute a bribe, and the employee will be fired.

Shelly

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

travelnoviceKD

Kerri,

My wife and I will be flying out of Phila. ( PHL )

US Airways 1867 09SEP 1000AM – 0154PM Philadelphia to Punta Cana

If your departing from Philly be sure to get there early due to security check in. Also make sure you bring ID - drivers license or of course your passport. Let us know if your flying with us, we could meet at Philly airport.

Charles & Janice

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

Charles and Janice,

Hey neighbor! My daughter goes to Neumann, so I am in Aston often.

You know, it is funny, but I was just talking to my brother and his wife who are Sandals addicts (I have never been and hope to some day - hopefully they will build in PC). He was telling me tipping was forbidden and it had to be done on the down low, with many employees returning the money. Don't know about Secrets Excellence, other than what I read on TA, but I found in PC, a good tip went a long way and many employees even looked for it. Understandable considering how poor the country is.

Enjoy PC. Would love to read the review in comparison to Sandals and which Sandals islands are your favorites?

PRIZE

Easton, PA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

Charles & Janice...

We will be flying out of Newark. Maybe we'll meet up at the hotel. We arrive in PC @ 1:18 so we might end up on the same trip to the hotel. I can hardly sleep lately ...I am so excited. Keep in touch and see ya there.

Kerri

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
756 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

I don't know if this will hold true at SEPC, but I read on the Puerto Morelos forum on this website that at SERC (Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya) if you were offered an upgrade to Swim-out or Excellence club (at an additional cost) you would receive it whether you paid for the upgrade or not. . . . .

8. Re: Tipping - Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 17, 2009