We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Cancun and missing Punta Cana (?)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Cancun and missing Punta Cana (?)

My wife and I just returned from Cancun and we stayed at the very elegant Riu Palace Las Americas *brag*

But some how someway we missed our not so highly rated Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana.

How could this be possible? The Riu Palace was so nice and the pools and the buildings lookes like a movie set.

One thing about Cancn was that most places are kind of Las Vegas built. They build them on top of the beach more or less.

My wife and I are not huge pool people. We go to the pool but spend 75% of the time at the ocean. Riu palace really sets on the beach but beacuse of the high walls for the pools it cuts itself off from the beach.

The animation staff in Punta Cana was really at least 50 times better then Cancun. We still laugh at some of the jokes.

ALSO if you think the shows at ocean bavaro are campy then you should see the shows at Riu Palace. They are not campy, they are on a very nice stage with elegant chairs and proper lighting. But they are horrible and boring. I would rather see the Swedish guy try to win the spansih speaking contest then see Mexicans lip sink and dance to the musical Gease!

I know a lot of people think that the higher priced places are the best but spending more doesnt mean more fun.

I also think a lot of people wont admit this beacuse if you spend that much money you dont want to admit you didnt have fun. "Oh but the lobby was sooo grand" *sarcasm*

The next quick get a way will be to Punta Cana ...and maybe something a little nicer than Ocean Bavaro ......... oh gee whiz ...here we go again ... ;)

jim

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Cancun and missing Punta Cana (?)

I have done Cancun twice. You are right on with your description...too touristy (is this a word????) for me! Give me Punta Cana any tme...will be back for our third visit in November...can't wait!

Brenda :~)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Cancun and missing Punta Cana (?)

I agree 100% Punta Cana to me is more natural and untouched.

I have been to Mexico and yes we loved it,but it cannot compare to Punta Cana in my heart.

GIMME THAT PALM TREE LINED BEACH ANYDAY..................

TERRY AKA sb

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Cancun and missing Punta Cana (?)

I was in Cancun in the late 80's and found it like a Vegas on the beach instead of the desert. I can't imagine it now, hey maybe they imploded our 3 star non inclusive hotel the Aristos! I loved Punta Cana and am returning in January. Now only if I could narrow down my short-list!