We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi

We are planning to go to Dominican Republic on honeymoon next june.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of of each resort? Can anyone please recommend an all inclusive hotel?

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

hi confused50:

you will get better responses if you state different criteria, ie budget, placement, atmosphere etc

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Check out Paradisus Palma Real. Went there in May and think it would be a great place for a honeymoon.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

confused,

No problem recommending the Colonial Majestic. Check it out, beautiful resort, beautiful beach, best pool in the world, and not so bad food. The staff there is wonderful and will wait on you hand and foot. Good luck with your search. I can't wait to go back.

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks a million! We'll check that out now and let you know!

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Hi dropusaline:

Yes, we forgot to mention the criteria.

As the Dominican Republic is only part of our honeymoon, we are going for 10 days, flying down from Florida we are looking for somewhere to relax and enjoy after spending 6 days in Orlandos theme parks! We're not sure whether to state couples only resorts, as we've been warned that it might not be what it seems! But we dont really want a resort full of children either, sorry, dont mean to offend anyone!

We have a budget of roughly $1500 for the 10 nights, we do want all inclusive though, thats the only requirement!

Thanks!

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

Hi,

Just one more thing also!

Where is best to stay? Puerto Plata or Punta Cana?

Ive also heard that Santo Domingo is nice but set in a town and more geared toward business people.

Has anyone ever stayed in Bayahibe?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

well I can comment on Puerto Plata vs Punta Cana because I have been to both. If you want white sand turquoise water, PC cannot be beat. PC is very relaxed because there is no 'downtown" near the resorts, there is a village and the town of Higuey about 45 min away. Puerto plata had golden sand and a colour of water that would never compare to Punta cana. Puerto Plata is less expensive, and the town is right there amonst the resorts - so there is more to see and do, without taking an excursion. I personally would never return to Puerto Plata because I have seen and done that and was not overly impressed for the vacation I wanted. I however would return to PC in a heartbeat. there is nothing that says paradise to me more than white, powdery sand almost like flour, and a turquoise colour of water that the pictures don't give justice to.

Bayahibe /LaRomana is much the same as PC, the specifics I don't know for sure, there is a town nearby too. Kaki or BaltoBabe are better people to ask about the area, and they will recommend Casa del Mar, nothing against the propery but there are other places to look into!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

sorry, Adults only will probably exceed your budget for 10 days. It is the Secrets resort. One resort to be adults only come November 1st is the Punta Cana Princess. Also if you stay there, you have full access to the sister property next door Tropical Princess/Caribe Club Princess.

Most if not all resorts in Punta Cana are all inclusive because like I said before, there isn't really a town area where you can go out to restaurants. there are a few, but not a ton.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Indeed in the La Romana area I recommend Casa del Mar since that is where my experience is and I've had only great vacations there, PLUS it has the best snorkeling from the beach on the island PLUS it is right beside the town of Bayahibe making it the best place to be staying to have easy access to the amenities of that town.

While I do have a reputation for recommending this resort, to read through my posts you will also see that I recommend the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus if you are looking for more luxury and more air conditioned restaurants, and the Coral Canoa if you'd like to be next to the Parque Nacional and possibly get a better price.

There is a lot of variety in the Bayahibe area and something to suit all tastes. All hotels in the area have access to the Caribbean island tours and will be on the calm turquoise waters with great snorkeling nearby with a direct view to the west and fantastic sunsets.

I really love the La Romana area for the protected beaches which result in a breeze without a wind and only green flag days every day. It is also situated so that you can fly into any of the Santo Domingo, La Romana or Punta Cana airports. Santo Domingo is a world capital and a fascinating city of history and culture and is only 2 hours away. The La Romana area is the best place to stay to be able to access SD easily for a day trip.

I you let me know what you're looking for from your vacation--other than romance!!--I can try to direct you to the best hotel for your needs.

Kaki

kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

Dublin
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Kaki and dropusaline,

You both have been a great help! I have been speaking to my travel agent and he told me that from December 31st the Secrets Excellence will no longer be run by AM Resorts so I would be wary of booking it now.

As you already know, its our honeymoon, so were looking for luxury, our budget has gone up!

Originally we were thinking of staying in Santo Domingo but heard that it was a town and not really suitable of tourists as its not very close to the beaches etc. Is this true?

The travel agent did recommend Bayahibe, the Iberostar but dont know much about it as we had our heart set on the Secrets Excellence!

Friends of our have been to Peurto Plata and said if they were going to the DR again they would go to the Caribbean side of the island.

I feel like im back to square one again trying to decide on where to stay! Bayahibe, La Romana, PC or SD???

As my fiancee doesnt want to sit on a beach for 10 days (which I think once he gets there he will!) we want to go on a few trips! I heard the monster truck ride is brilliant and snorkelling and Scuba diving are top of the list for me!

All you halp is very much appreciated! Keep all the advice coming!!!