We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamajuana ??

PA
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mamajuana ??

I keep hearing about this in the posts, what is this? I know its some kind of drink, but what?

Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Mamajuana ??

We purchased a bottle of this, once we had tried it on our first visit to the Dominican, and to tell you the truth, well it is still sitting in our cupboard, un-mixed, still un-openned!

I guess we will get to it sometime!

Cheers

Jimmy

Debbie's Dominican Fiesta Commiittee

www.fiesta.webcentre.ca

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Mamajuana ??

We got some to mix ourselves this time around - brought home some rum also from the tour we were on at the rum factory - of the three bottles one was "skunky"....or at least it tasted "musty" so we are using that to soak the bark - I hope that doesn't give the mamjuana a musty taste.

wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Mamajuana ??

We just came back from The Catalonia Bravara in Punta Cana last night and we have already started to make ours at home. He loves it and swears that it works. We brought back many gift packs for others. As a post earlier said, the formula is loosely described, so you will taste many versions of it. We like it better with a bit more red wine and honey. Enjoy

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Mamajuana ??

I bought a bottle,the contents are soaked in a mixture of vinella extract and rum.When you get home pour out the mixture and put in your own mixture. 10% honey,70% rum,20% red wine in that order,let sit at least 3 weeks. A number of locals told me never buy a bottle already mixed because you don't know what your getting.The bottle can be re-used with a new mixture for ever.I paid $5.00 for a 26 oz. bottle with the mixture (asking price $15.00).It doesn't taste bad it is a good conversation piece around your bar.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Mamajuana ??

I started soaking my wood bits and went to check on it hours later. It was bubbling! Is this anybody else's experience? Not big bubbles, just signs of activity and a ring of bubbles at all times on the top. I don't know how long it took for it to start, but it wasn't instantaneous. Talk about your active ingredients!

I suppose it could taste like Buckley's Mixture if you drank the initial rum that the wood had soaked in. If it still tastes off, just add more honey and wine! Or how about some chocolate? Chocolate's good with everything!

Raymore, Sask...
Level Contributor
599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Mamajuana ??

Kaki the air bubbles you see are from the air that was trapped in the dry wood.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Mamajuana ??

I got a lot of detailed help for mamajuana from

www.visiting-the-dominican-republic.com

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Mamajuana ??

On my last visit, I received a recipe from a Dominican for making a new batch in the bottle I purchased which was premixed. I was told when we emptied the bottle, we should mix:

1 small bottle of rum

two fingers of honey

1 finger of anisette

1 finger of vanilla

You measure by placing your fingers sideways on the bottle.

I was told this was the best tasting mamajuana recipe to drink.

It's flavor is similar to a Captain Morgan rum.

We haven't tried it yet, will post when we do.