We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia!

Pittsburgh
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melia!

First, let me begin by saying, that most of these reviews that you are reading, are true in a sense about the melia, but let me tell you I just got home yesterday, and an so glad to have returned to the USA!!

I understand you are in another country, 3rd world at that, but no need for the food that was served at this resort! I have been out of the country times before, and have never gotten this sick nor, have I felt like I wanted to eat ritz crackers in my room all week. There was a reivew about someone eating chips in their room all week, and someone said that was crazy, well it was not. we did the same thing!! The food by far, made my vacation as well as 5 other peoples, terrible. The only place that was was excellent was the japense steakhouse, and we did not eat there until the last, because we could not get reservations!!! The mexican was ok, american grill, was awful, we all got sick that night!! The buffetts are the same food, and boring and not good at all!!!

We went through Apple, and that was the best thing we could have done. There was other poeople there, that we so mad because they did not have any direction on what things they could do in Punta Cana.

Go on the Shark trip, the best exsusion ever!! The tour guide is awesome, adn she really makes it fun.

also, be very carful in bavaro shopping center, they will make your life hell. They try to sell you everything under thesun at way overpriced things. Also, make sure you go to the cigar and rum factory, very interesting to see how things are done in DR.

The rooms are great, room service could be a little better, but overall one on the nicest resorts I have stayed at.

So all in all great vacatoin, but if you are a picky eater, and know that you will not have fun unless you eat good food, don't go here, or stay at the melia. try antoehr resort. might be better, but i don't think it will.

Cherry Hill
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia!

Sorry you had such a bad time. On one hand you say it's one of the nicest resorts you've stayed in. What made it nice?

I can tell you didn't like the food at all but oddly enough I have heard the same complaint at many of the resorts.

What was the shark expedition? I think you're the first person to tell about that. Was it expensive?

How did going through Apple tours make your life easier? Weren't there tour groups set up in the lobby?

What did you order through room service? Was that good?

You're absolutely recommending the Japanese restaurant, right?

But reservations were difficult? Did you have the Royal Service?

Just checking as I finalize some of my plans.

Stacy

Pittsburgh
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia!

Hi Stacy:

It was very beautiful, the grounds are always maintained, the birds are exotic, and it is very very clean. The only think you have to watch is the yellow stone kind of road you walk on it is all over the resort, and when it gets wet, it is very very slippery. They have signs everyone cautioning you of this. and the rooms like I said are very nice; the room service could be a little faster. For instance, we would be getting ready for dinner, and we still would not have our room cleaned yet or any new towels. But it did get better towards the end of the week.

The shark expedition was great!!! It is a half day, and you get to snorkel in 15 ft water, and swim with nursing sharks and sting rays. They do not have teeth, and will not touch you because they are scared of humans. It is so neat to see these things right below you in the water. You are on a boat with about 50 other people, and the tour guides are awesome!! you lunch served which is good to eat, fresh cold cuts, and drinks and drinks and more drinks!! Also you get to swim in the natural ocean water that is beautiful as well. This is defiantly a must.

Apple tours was great. We could always count on our rep to help us with reservations if she could, any questions we had she spoke English, so she could understand us, and also she made it very easy for us to book or departure taxi and just all around made it better.

We did not have room service or the royal service, which now I wish we would have gotten. The reservations were hard in some cases because the Japanese restaurant is by far (every there talked about it as well) is the the best. So it is the hardest to get in if you do not have RS.

I hope this helps a little more. Let me know if you have any other questions!!! Take care

Nicole

Cherry Hill
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia!

Thanks, Nicole, for your help. I am really getting excited about the trip and glad I got the RS service. I know about the "shopping" and luckily for me, there's not much I want except things I can get at the duty free shop. I am trying to get reservations at the restaurants and not the buffet so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for your update.

Stacy

4. Re: Melia!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 16, 2009