We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The same question, with a twist

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
The same question, with a twist

Fellow travelers:

I probably have the same questions others have asked, but I have been trying to find answers on this forum to no avial. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) planning a quick getaway in the beginning of June. We have never been to the Dominican Republic, but went to Cancun and though we enjoyed it we would like to change the air a little and also experience calmer waters (Cancun was very choppy).

My first priority is that I don't like water motors were I am swimming, so the area were we would stay would have to be free of those. Also, we are not interested in golf or night entertainment, so I don't want to pay (in an all inclusive rate) for this since I am not going to use it.

Any suggestions on resorts we should look at? We are not fussy about food and actually like rabbit and cow's tongue (lol). We are looking more for a nice 5 days of doing nothing yby a beautiful beach. Your help is appreciated! Thanks,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The same question, with a twist

Catalonia Bavaro/Catalonia Punta Cana. same resort.

Ideal for what you're looking for. Calm water all the time. Large uncrowded white sand beach.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: The same question, with a twist

I agree with our friend BigJim: Catalonia Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana. Here is a nice You Tube clip (less than 4 minutes) of the beach that outlines what you can expect. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNN2LtdpPc0

PC

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The same question, with a twist

Hola: I would reiterate and vote for Dreams La Romana. Quiet and calm water - snorkeling right off the beach and plenty for kids to do. Also you can walk down the beach into the small town of Bayahibe and get a feel for the local environment. We have been 6 times and loved it.

That said, our 2nd vote would be for Catalonia Bavaro. Have not been but they have nice calm and clear water & snorkeling. We are going to Catalonia Royal bavaro in November which is next to Cat Bav but Adult Only.

Good luck. You really can't miss with either resorts.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The same question, with a twist

Thanks, you are the best! Even gave me an youtube clip! Wish people were as nice in the real world...

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The same question, with a twist

Just one more thing: any experiences on the Catalonia La Romana? I am between the two (Bavaro and La Romana, both Catalonia). Thanks!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: The same question, with a twist

Your best bet would be to inquire about the La Romana one on the forums for that section of DR.. here is the link for you

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g147292-i243-La_Rom…

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The same question, with a twist

Well, then let me put this way: which area would be more appropriate for my travel plans? the one in La romana or the location on Bavaro?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The same question, with a twist

If I were you I'd choose Punta Cana. It's a very short drive from the airport. The resort is remote. Almost zero boat traffic and no people traffic except guests staying there. Not sure if it matters to you but you'll likely find more English speaking guests at Punta Cana though both resorts do have a high amount of Europeans.

Both resorts are suitable for your needs. I give Cat PC the nod due to it's closeness to the airport. Less travel time means more time on the beach. :-)

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The same question, with a twist

Hola: You may be able to fly from Florida into La Romana which is very close to the south coast resorts. Jet Blue and American (I believe) fly into La Romana. It's a 10 - 15 minute trip to Dreams La Romana.

Good luck

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The same question, with a twist

Sorry to come back. I went to Expedia to buy it as a pack with flight from Spirit. The price for 4 nights was 2159 for 4. When I hit the buy button the price went up to 2300! I went then to the hotel website and found that if I book the room in the hotel and by only the flight with Spirit the total price would be 1900 for the same stay. Is this possible? Am I missing something? Has anybody book a hotel directly because it was cheaper?