We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any medical concerns in DR?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
any medical concerns in DR?

HI there...I know I should be consulting a doctor...but since I'm already sitting at the computer...I wanted to ask to anyone who has gone to DR or who is planning a trip:

Are there any conerns regarding malaria or hepatitis in the DR? Is it advisable to get any vaccinations or preventative medicines prior to vacationing there?

Appreciate any posts

Thank you

--Michelle

Toronto
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: any medical concerns in DR?

Oh, no! I was just about to book a family vacation to DR and now it seems as if the water, and maybe the food, will make us sick!

Is it better, worse or about the same as Mexico? We were in the Puerto Vallarta area at an AI resort last winter and had no problems whatsoever -- in fact, we didn't even hear about anyone getting sick. I'm thinking maybe we should go back there just to be on the safe side, altho' we love the look of the Punta Cana beaches!

Toronto
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: any medical concerns in DR?

Oh, no! I was just about to book a family vacation to DR and now it seems as if the water, and maybe the food, will make us sick!

Is it better, worse or about the same as Mexico? We were in the Puerto Vallarta area at an AI resort last winter and had no problems whatsoever -- in fact, we didn't even hear about anyone getting sick. I'm thinking maybe we should go back there just to be on the safe side, altho' we love the look of the Punta Cana beaches!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
465 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: any medical concerns in DR?

Hepatitis can be a problem anywhere you travel. It can be contacted through something as simple as a ice cube made or contact with someone already infected. There is a series of medication which is administered through a needle called "Twinrix" which protects againts the most common forms of Hep A and B.

24. Re: any medical concerns in DR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 18, 2009