We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

An awesome time was had by Bubbas and all at this great resort.

I sit here looking at pics and watching the snow fall (again) from my window and plan our next vacay! Here we go again!

Well, if anyone needs to know anything, ask away! I'd return in a heartbeat! :D

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

golfer62,

That is the what it does state on the liquor menu for the lobby bar that the resort provides - however, like all such listings, it is always subject to change. I would pick it up on route to the resort, prior to arrival.

Have a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

HI PC,

Sorry for the delay but things have been a bit nuts here.

Now, here is my comparison, line by line.

P C

Ladysmith, Canada

Save this Post

16. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Feb 16, 2014, 10:25 PM

Dawn;

(1) beach sand quality. Very different beaches and both sand quality was equal to me, unless you prefer white sand (Ambar) to more of a brown sugar color (Excelence).

(2) beach cleanliness. Both resorts to a great job here. No preference

(3) beach palapa distribution [distance between them for privacy]. Excellence has it over the Ambar.

(4) beach walking -Depends on what you want. Excellence has nothing around it so you can walk undisturbed if you go to the right, or you can walk through all the vendor's huts on the left. The Ambar is more crowded but if you are a people watcher, you may like this better.

(5) beach congestion (people, crowds, etc.) Ambar is a private sectioned beach but it is still more crowded than the Excellence. Fun for me as I like to watch people.

(6) room wear and tear-The Ambar is showing it's age a bit but the room I had was very clean and I did not notice any major wear and tear. The Excellence has that open concept bathroom that some do not like. I know that there has been some reno's at the Excellence that I have not seen but, all in all, both well maintained rooms.

(7) pool relaxation-Depends on who is there. Both are fairly chill but both have some crazy, fun, wild moments.

(8) lobby bar wait-staff service-Both awesome but I think that the Ambar edges the Excellence on this one.

(9) ala carte meal quality-Tough one here! Some a la cartes at the Ambar blew Excellence away and others were meh. Desserts at the Ambar were better than the Excellence. Asian was better at EPC. I liked the French better at the Ambar. Ambar had great steaks at the French and Tex Mex which was better than EPC. But, except for the french and tepanyaki, all the restaurants had buffets for appetizer and desserts. So...all in all, with gives and takes for both restaraunts, it was pretty equal to us.

(10) ala carte staff service-Equal. Excellent on both accounts though.

All in all, both are great resorts but very different. Hope this helps!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Do we really need to wake up at the crack of dawn to get chairs?

Is there a way to get a king vs the double beds?

Did you use the pillow service?

Any tips for first time DR travelers.

Thanks so much!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Hi Jessica R.

We had very good service poolside but did not try it on the beach. We tipped when we thought we had exceptional service, around every other round or so or a bit more if my favorite bar men were around (Confessor and Elvis).

As in my review, we found plenty of chairs around 7;30-8AM, which we did not think is early at all.

You can request what you want 7-10 days prior to your arrival by email. I am sure you can find the emails in one of Brooklin's many posts (God BLESS this guy).

We used the pillow service and the memory foam pillows used provided my Larry with a snore free expirience (yay for me!) that inspired us to by such pillows for our home and YAY more snore free bliss!

Bring the Bubba Kegs and the bug spray and ASK for a butler. They speak the best English and will track any problems you may have to their resolution. They are the liason between you and everyone else. Make use of t his service (We loved Emmanuel)

Hope this helps!

whitby,ontario
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Thanks John,

Your detailed posts and responses, as well as everyone elses, have been most helpful. I will grab something at Duty Free.

Looking forward to getting away from this cold weather.

By the way we are neighbors. I live in the north end of Whitby.

Thanks again,

Dave

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Hiya and have a great time at the Ambar! Yes Grand Marnier is indeed extra and do not recall seeing Disaronno. I can tell you that I found the liquor at Duty free very expensive compared to in town or at the Pueblo Princepe. For Example, we got a small bottle of Brugal Extra Viejo for 8 US. At the airport, same size was 18.00!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

golfer62,

There are quite a few of us from Whitby & Oshawa here on the forums - we are now officially the "Durham Bubba's " !! LOL !

I now live in the south end.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Thank you for the info. Yes I have read countless wonderful reviews by John.

I've tried to fined info on check in. We are due to arrive at 11:45am, if check is at 3:00pm do they make you wait or can you try to get in earlier. If not do they have a place to keep your luggage?

We have also sent three dinner requests for Maiko, Santa Fe, and Don Pablo, if you went to any of these how were they?

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Jesica, arriving earlier than noon I would expect that you might be shown to the lunch buffet for a bite before your room is ready. Only a few steps across the lobby and you can relax over a light lunch and cold drink while they make everything great for you and they will keep your luggage safe at the lobby check in.

Don Pablo was by far our favorite. The service was a bit slow but we didn't mind a bit in this case b/c we really enjoyed the courses. Pst... the lobster was the beast, lol.

Edited: 2:22 pm, March 01, 2014
Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: We are back from the Ambar-Questions anyone?

Jesica R,

I have been to all of the a la cartes, however, the Sante Fe was one of our least favourite and was certainly not one of the better choices for those in our travel group of up to 15 of us. Please keep in mind, that food is so subjective to each individual guest.

Here are the a la cartes available to you starting with the most popular.

The Don Pablo - Gourmet - located at the Ambar resort

The Bella Italia - Italian - located at the Esmeralda

The Garden Grill - Steakhouse - located at the Punta Cana resort

The Takara - Asian - located at the Esmeralda resort

The El Olivio - Mediterranean - located at the Ambar

The Portofino - Italian - located at the Ambar

The Maiko – Japanese - located at the Bavaro resort

The Sante Fe - Tex-Mex - located at the Bavaro resort

Los Olas lYll – BBQ – located at the Bavaro resort

The El Pescador - Mediterranean - located at the Punta Cana resort

The El Meson - Spanish - located at the Bavaro resort

Conuco – Dominican – located at the Premier resort

I am not sure if you land at the Punta Cana airport at 11:45 or you will arrive at the resort at 11:45am.

I suspect you will arrive at the airport at 11:45am - in such a case, you will arrive at the resort about 1:00 - 1:30pm.

By the way, your bus will let the guests off at the Bahia Bavaro lobby. They are not permitted to drive down the narrow roadway to the lobby of the Ambar resort. When you get off the bus, your luggage will be taken off the bus as well. Tell the resorts porters that you are a guest of the Ambar resort - they will load your luggage onto a small trolly and transport you and your luggage to the Ambar lobby where you will check in.

Your room may be ready for you at that time or you will be informed to wait until it is.

You will be checked in, provided your wrist bands and directed to Guest Services, in the same lobby, to pick up your a la cart bookings hat you made.

You can use the main lobby buffet to grab something to eat as poster "taprice" has mentioned - ps - the lobby bar will be open !!

You may also leave your luggage at the front desk - if yo wish to have the "butler service" ask for it at check in. If you wish to change into your swimsuit and head to the pool or beach - they have beautiful changing areas there as well - and come back later to obtain your room.

You will have full use of the resort in the interim.

Hope this does help.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)