We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Punta Cana

Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
Save Topic
First time to Punta Cana

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a great 5 star all-inclusive resort on the beach in PC. I'm willing to pay a little extra to have a more luxurious experience- room with an ocean view, food, great amenities, etc. any opinions would be helpful!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Punta Cana

There are only a handfull of 5 star resorts. That's according to TripAdvisor as opposed to the tour operators who tend to rate lots of resorts as 5 star. The 5 star resorts are not all-inclusive, with the exception of Zoetry, I believe, which is a smaller, boutique hotel. It's very nice, quiet, and doesn't have much of a nightlife, but elegant and tropical.

Some 4.5 star resorts are Iberostar Grand Bavaro, Paradisus Palma Real, Excellence Punta Cana, and Secrets Royal Beach. I would say Excellence has the most ocean view rooms, because it's built along the beach as opposed to back from it. IGB and PPR are more posh, Excellence is the most tropical, and Secrets in between.

Mark

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Punta Cana

I would second a vote for Zoetry - they do offer some gorgeous ocean front rooms. It's small, quiet - no "go go" all day/night. There are activities, but low key - quiet at night with lobby bar for after dinner drinks, chatting, minimal entertainment. Very quiet beach with no boat traffic at all, and very, very little foot traffic. Might be what you're looking for - we love it, lol. Good luck in your search!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Punta Cana

Kayzee1970,

Yes I agree Zoetry looks like a gem. Please take a moment and read some of the reviews.

Have a great vacation #*7<^-tggo :D

Edited: 4:18 pm, February 06, 2014
murillo
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Punta Cana

I would say Barcelo Bavaro is the most tropical by far ... Built on a palm tree grove.. only one on the island. A little more info would be better... Large resort ... AO ...calm water ... surf waves...close to things outside your resort ... If you haven't been south much i would say a larger resort... Palladium... Bahia .. Barcelo .. more things to do ... more choices

Edited: 4:24 pm, February 06, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Punta Cana

Thank you for the responses! Does anyone know anything about Sanctuary Cap Cana? If was one that someone else had mentioned.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Punta Cana

Sanctuary is a pretty place. I'm just leary about it until they get their ownership / management issues worked out.

Mark

Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Punta Cana

Thanks mark! You've been so helpful.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Punta Cana

When are you looking to go

Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Punta Cana

We are thinking mid march!

Salt Lake City, Utah
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Punta Cana

Mark I had another question- it looks like a lot of reviews are complaining about not making dinner reservations in time. Should I be booking reservations before we leave home? Is that necessary? Also people seem to complain a lot about the food quality- everywhere seems to be subpar. Is that your experience too? Thanks again.