We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minor entry into Dominican Republic

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cape may
9 posts
Save Topic
minor entry into Dominican Republic

Good Morning,

I am planning a trip to Punta Cana this November 2014. I am a single mom traveling with my 12 year old daughter. We have traveled many times to mexico and I've only needed to show her passport when entering. I am the only parent listed on her birth certificate. Will she only need her passport to enter? Thanks so much!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

bring her passport and the birth certificate which shows you as the only parent, and you will be fine.

Mike

cape may
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Thank you so much Mike.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Mike knows. I too am a single Mom and I do this all the time. Never a problem.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

PASSPORT is the key document....

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

the key document is not the passport, even that it is necessary of course, the key document is the birth certificate which proofs that there is only one parent, the one which travels with the child.

otherwise a single parent would need documentations signed by the spouse/ex-wife/mother-father which state that there is a agreement that one parent travels alone with the child.

Mike

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Mike is absolutely correct on this last post

BObK

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Yes Mike is right - had to go through that when my former husband wanted to take our son to the US on a trip - along with a passport, he had to have the long copy of his birth certificate, as well as a notarized letter from me, denoting my knowledge of, and permission for the trip. This is something the Canadian government advised, regardless of the destination, as the passport would not have been enough for a parent traveling alone with a child of his age - 10 at the time. Better have all the ducks in a row ahead of time :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Question...are you a single mom...or a divorced mom??? If divorced, there is a chance that a notarized letter accompany your daughter.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

In a way, we're all talking about the same thing. Passport with same last name is the highest card in the deck. As a tourist they are not going to dig into your bizness.

As a single Mom and a single Dad (although I get asked if she's my Grandchild, whatever) I travel often with my youngest, she is Dominican born so I have separate concerns, but she is a U.S. Citizen. We've never been asked for more than the Passport. Never.

I always, just in case, have a copy of the custody/divorce decree. Never needed it, but have it just in case. If you have some kind of letter or document along with the Passport you have no worries.

cape may
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: minor entry into Dominican Republic

Single mom Mike, No divorce involved. I am the only parent listed on the birth certificate.