We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Highway===Renting a car

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New Highway===Renting a car

This is directed towards some of the "locals" who frequent this forum.

Normally, I would not ever consider renting anything or driving in Punta Cana. However, with the new highway to the area with Dreams PC/Breathless/Excellence now complete, any comments! The road is very smooth, virtually a straight drive (no towns or confusing interchanges that I could see) all the way from airport to hotels. I think I would restrict travel to daylight. Sure would be nice to not have to do the shuttle bus routine especially on the way back where tour companies want to pick you up 4 hours before departure. What rental car companies would you recommend? Also, now that the trip from this area to PUJ has gone from 60 minutes to 40 minutes, any chance taxi rates will decrease? Can you negotiate do you think? Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

Best car rental ,for me, has been Avis. I have usually paid about 60 a day with all of their insurance.

I havent driven punta cana for a while, but the highway looks great. It should be a breeze to get to your destination.

I doubt the taxi rate will change, drivers wont go for it.

If your spanish is so so, and your good at spotting speed bumps, and other road obstacles, you should do ok.

Now if you are planning on doing some excursions, or going off property to other locations, it makes financial sense.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

the ride on that road is very smooth, and no hidden speedbumps, they are very well signed out prior to jumping them, lol. it is easy to come around, as on that road you have just 2 directions to go, not confusing at all.

as for saving time to stay longer at the airport on departure day, keep in mind that the airlines require you to do the check in at a certain time at latest prior to the planes set departure time, that's the reason why the tourcompanies pick you up early. keep also on count that at peak times a 90 minutes can easily be spent to pass the security checks/screenings etc after you finished check in. and in addition to that you have to count in extra time to spend for the procedure to give your car back to the rental company at or near the airport, i don't see much space to save time on that on departure day.

merry christmas!

Mike

CLARKSVILLE
Level Contributor
259 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

Was just there two weeks ago and rented a car for 2 weeks. The new highway is a vast improvement over what was there before. Like Mike said, the speed bumps (really large Bots Dots glued to the roadway) are well marked and even with a small car, do not cause a lot of jarring if you're careful. The time from the airport to Macau Beach is drastically reduced. You can also go to the west on the Autopista del Coral and go to La Romana and Santo Domingo in short time. Be prepared for gasoline prices approaching $6 US per gallon! Have fun and drive defensively!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

Mike Fisher is right, you have to check in earlier for your international flight, as well as get through security after the often long check in lines. The shuttles do these trips every day, they know the roads, the traffic, they know the airport, and they don't want anyone to be late on their account.

So if you rent a car, don't cut your time too short, plus you have to return a rental car also.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

Just a few tips:

You will find the best prices for car rental via booking online (at the office or by phone tends to be more expensive). Make sure you get full insurance and ask the rental agent what the procedure is in case of an accident - if he can't tell you then don't book with him.

Be careful at roundabouts (there are a few near the airport) as drivers entering the roundabout often don't give way like they are supposed to do.

Gas stations here are not self service, ask the attendant to fill you up with "regular" or they'll fill up with "premium" which is more expensive. Make sure they zero the counter (although I've never an issue with this).

Have fun exploring!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

good tips by Yumi.

yes, from friend renting cars here frequently i also here that the online booking rates are well cheaper than booking directly here on site/in PC/at a hotel.

make always sure to have a full insurance and make sure(get it in written words and signed by a agent) what self deduction you have on your "full insurance", i saw over the years contracts where you would pay out of pocket almost the first 50% of a cars value before the "full insurance" kicks in. if you are a group/family of several drivers, make sure that everyone who wanna drive the car is covered by the insurance, as the cheapest full insurances cover usually only one specific driver and have high self deduction sums on the contracts. book online and print out the policies for coverage, read them in detail, even that it is a lot, yes, but do it to be sure it is what you are looking for.

always fuel the regular gasoline in those cars, everyone does, even the rental car company themselfs, the difference on the price for fuel is big, so save that money for other things or extra miles to come around. Gas stations are in the PC area now found everywhere, there is one at Macao, one at the Friusa Crossing, one at the Highway's Coco Loco crossing, one at the highway between airport and hotelarea and one at the maincrossing in Veron, so which ever direction you choose on that highway, you will never be far from a Gas station. if you leave PC to Higuey, in higuey are plenty of gas stations available. if you use the Coral Highway from PC towards Santo Domingo, fuel up before leaving PC, as there are no stations between PC and La Romana, from then on you will find gas stations everywhere near again.

as Yumi stated, it is important to check that the counter is on Zero.Zero before the fueling starts, i never had a problem with that myself, but i almost always fuel at stations where the Bomberos know me personally since a long time, listening to others i know that some can be tricky with the counter. so do not leve your car to be fueled while you walk to the stations shop to get some drinkets or hit the bathroom, check the counter to be on Zero and wait til the fueling is finished, then hit the parking place and use the bathroom or buy the stuff you need in the store.

happy travels and Merry Christmas!

specially to Yum and Lamonte in Bayahibe

Mike

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

Feliz Navidad to you & your family Mike!

One other thing - check there's a jack and that the spare tyre is good. If you do get a flat don't be surprised or worried if lots of Dominicans stop to offer help, people are just genuinely very helpful here :-)

8. Re: New Highway===Renting a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 26, 2014