We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport question.

I am going to PUNTA CANA April 10th 2014.

My Passport expires on 12/2014.

Do I need to renew prior to my trip?

I know some countries have a certain time frame they require the passport to be valid before use.

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question.

i would say yes you need to renew your passport

birmingham,england
Level Contributor
346 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question.

joseph

if you are a tourist, you only need a passport to be valid up to your departure date, for business etc it needs to be valid for 6 months after your departure date.

maybe worth checking out with your passport office as this is the rule for UK tourists.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question.

You are travelling in April of 2014 and your passport expires December 2014? If that is correct, No you do not need to renew to visit the D.R. for the April Trip.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question.

Your passport is good for more than 6 more months before you travel in April. I think you're fine, but I'd get the real answer at an official government site.

Here's a place to start travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

I didn't drill down to get the specific answer, but I'm sure it's there somewhere. And, keep in mind, your passport is required more to enter back into the US on your return than it is to enter the DR......

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question.

From the passport FAQ on the link I posted, I found the following......

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

A: If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question.

You will be fine. Just renew it in December.

BObK

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question.

I'm pretty sure that as long as the passport is valid when you return, you're fine. That's what I was able to glean when I researched it a little while ago.

Mark

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question.

Mark, Canada may have different reentry restrictions than the US..... either more lenient or even less so.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport question.

My understanding is that it's the country you are entering that determines the rules. In other words, the destination country may require that the passport be valid for 6 months from the date of entry. Returning to the USA or Canada, as long as the passport is still valid on that date, you're fine.

So the USA may require somebody entering the USA to have a passport valid for 6 months from that date, but wouldn't require such for people returning to the USA.

Mark

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport question.

Joseph D:

Your U.S. Passport is valid for travel to/from the Dominican Republic until midnight on the date it expires.

And even if there were a 6 month "reserve" rule for U.S. Passport holders (whether by country or by airline), your trip in April is far-enough from your December expiration to be a non-issue.