We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach - the towel game

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
beach - the towel game

So, is there any resort where they do Not play the towel game at the beach? lol It seems pretty much every resort I read up on, people complain about that.

-which resorts would you say are better for not having to put up with that?

-and which are the worst resorts for that?

(and I know certain times of the year are busier than others, but we are planning a trip to Punta Cana the end of next May - I'm thinking that wouldn't be considered a really busy time of year, so maybe it wouldn't be much of an issue at that time?)

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach - the towel game

I think smaller resorts have less of an issue with this - at Zoetry last year, we did not see one lounger saved once - not at the pool, nor at the beach, for the entire week. Mind you, a 51 room resort (now a little over 90 with recent additions) and it was not at capacity, but anyone who settled in under a palapa, settled in for the day, aside from a swim of course, and I'd say the earliest we saw anyone out there was maybe 9:00 a.m. Then again, with many swim-up rooms, each having its own set of loungers, this can also help alleviate the problem.

I do believe they've added a few more palapas as part of their expansion, but it will be interesting to see if an increase in rooms brings the "towel game" to this resort also....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach - the towel game

In large part, I think it comes down to beach frontage in relation to the number of people at a resort. Barcelo Bavaro, Excellence, Paradisus Palma Real, and Paradisus Punta Cana are pretty good in this respect.

Mark

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach - the towel game

We have been to Majestic Elegance 3 times and have never had a problem finding a lounger. I am out there by about 7- 8am - but by the time hubby joins me (8-9am) and we head off for our breaky - there are still loungers available under palapas...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach - the towel game

Recent....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k700…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k696…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k693…

Edited: 8:31 am, December 14, 2013
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach - the towel game

The Towel Game is not really as bad as some people make it out to be. The ones who complain about it most are the ones who sleep until late morning then get upset that they can't get a front row seat at the beach. And it's like most things in life - the early bird...etc! Those who are up early and out for the day should get the better spots! And why not!

To me those who complain because they want to lie in bed half the morning would be like someone going to buy a ticket to a Big Name Star's concert the day of the concert and then causing a stink because the promoters allowed those who bought their tickets earlier to get the better seats!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach - the towel game

Exactly sackie!

Cheers,

Sheryl

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach - the towel game

BABB - we too go to the ME and we use the Bali Beds at the pool. I get up early too and head out for the morning - grab a coffee and go grab a BB and enjoy the morning and coffee while I wait for my friend to show up before we go for breakfast. Sometimes I am not up too early and may not get a Bali Bed at the first pool closest to the beach but there still are lots of beds available. Why complain because others go up before me and got the better beds - I just grab one that is available.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach - the towel game

"The Towel Game is not really as bad as some people make it out to be. The ones who complain about it most are the ones who sleep until late morning then get upset that they can't get a front row seat at the beach. "

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Well said, sackie!!

To the OP, there's the secret, get up early, and visit resorts during less busy seasons. Or, bring your own umbrella, they make nice ones that pack and travel easily.

Also after a couple days, you usually find there's a rhythm to each resort and it's guests. Folks congregate nearer the swim bar, or as far away as they can get......maybe more head to sandy beach early and later to pool (that's our rhythm).....the activity pools may be more crowded, or (with a different crowd/different resort) more folks covet the seats around the quietest pool. If you arrive to the pool from the beach around 3, it might be standing room only, but by 4, lots of folks have headed off to another activity, like a nap!

Relax and enjoy, you're on VACATION!!

Now, settling back to see if THIS thread goes for hundreds of posts like previous one. Happy Holidays!

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach - the towel game

At paradisus palma real now. The beach is so wide that even if some people play the towel game, you will always find plenty of open palapas and loungers.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beach - the towel game

Hi stylez :)

Not to hijack, but seeing as you are at PPR right now, could you maybe check out "ang's" thread about "Family resort with children in June" - they are looking at PPR as a possibility but wondering about its amenities for children...