We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Edmonton, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Hello everyone, what particular brands of Dominican coffee, rum (any particular vintage) and cigars (i tend to like smaller ones) would you recommend? Appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Coffee: Cafe Santo Domingo or Induban; Rum: Barcelo (others prefer Brugal), the older the better; Cigars: Fuente for me.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

RV429 is spot on with the coffee. Santo Domingo is delicious. I am one of the ones who prefer Brugal over Barcelo. Try the Brugal Extra Viejo if you get the chance. While I am not a big cigar smoker I did try some Don Lucas cigars on my last trip and really enjoyed them.

Edmonton, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Thanks for the info RV429 and Bodnar27!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Of Cafe Santo Domingo we last bought there "Espresso" brand which was excellent and finer ground than the standard.

Leon Jimenes produce a good range of smaller cigars - widely available. Also Santa Damian are very good.

Rum - another good Barcelo is Imperial..

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Yes Santo Domingo for the coffee - I'd been saving what we brought home and opened my last bag today - couldn't resist, lol. Have to wait until July to get more - woo-hoo!!

For rum, we absolutely LOVED the Brugal Extra Viejo - yum! Hubby with a splash of water only, me with Coke/Pepsi, sometimes OJ and always in anything fruity...lovely, lovely taste!

Edmonton, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Wow, great tips, thanks! Can't wait to sample :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

It is personal taste but the top end Dominican rums are of very good quality and are great with just a bit of ice. If you want to mix with coke then just buy the cheaper brands eg Barcelo Anejo etc.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

I buy 12 bags of whole bean coffee and keep in freezer. grind a bag per month and when it is gone time to go back. the whole bean stays fresher.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Only Brugal Extra Viejo. It is a crime to mix it with anything. Maybe ice is ok, but also good warm. And have always enjoyed the aroma of Romeo e Juliet as far as cigars go.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee, Rum and Cigars!

Tried the Brugal Anejo and didn't like it as much - for me anyway - even when mixed. Don't do much straight liquour, except for the odd sipping of Disaronno with a splash of GM. I like rum cocktails and just all the more yummy with the XV - frowned upon as it may be, lol :D

Edited: 5:54 pm, November 27, 2013