We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Isle of Lewis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
money

Hi everyone. My husband and I are jetting off on or first ever trip to DR at the beginning of December. We have booked our first all inclusive holiday and will be staying at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Punta Canta. As far as I am aware we won't be going out of resort unless we take a couple of planned excursions, so access to any ATM will not be possible.

We are unsure how much money (cash) to take with us for the 14 days of our holiday, given we are all inclusive. Additionally, should we take a combination of US dollars and Dominican Pesos or just dollars or just pesos? We will be taking our bank/credit cards.

My sister recently returned from an all inclusive holiday in Egypt and came back home having spent just £50 for the week outwith tips - is this normal for all inclusive?

Additionally, what's the norm for tipping?We're needing to get on and sort out our currency, so would be grateful for prompt advice.

Many Thanks

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Unless it's included in your package you'll need $10 each to enter and $20 each to exit the country. Bring along some extra USD and you'll be fine. In and around the resort, taxis and excursions and tips are fine in USD.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Just remember to tell your bank you will be travelling to DR to log your cards before you travel. They could get blocked by your credit and debit card provider otherwise. Take Plenty of smaller $ notes for tipping as resorts are not always able to change larger denominations. I take as many $1 & $5 as I can get hold of from home. Put a $20 each away for the departure tax ( we do that when we arrive so we dont forget about it )

It's true if you stay on the resort you may spend very little other than tips. Excursions can be paid before through your TA or on resort or off resort through outside companies.

Lots of information on here to help you plan your trip..... just lookat top right of page at " Top Questions " and click on any. Everything you may want to know will probably have been discussed on the forum but feel free to ask anyway.

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

We normally take 500.00 US with us for a week. That covers tips for maid, waiters/waitresses, bartenders. Tipping is a personal choice but we like to tip. As far as excursions go, like drummer said, you can pay your TA or company themselves. Depending on what you want to do, it could cost from 50.00 to 120.00 per person. We also allow for Massage 30-40 each per person.

Quakertown...
Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

We are heading there next week for our first time - just stopped at the bank today and got $500 cash for the trip (I got $100 of it in $1's). Those 2 stacks of $1's are certainly going to look strange going through the airport x-ray machine LOL

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

My boyfriend and I are trying to figure this out now...we are staying 4 days, so we were thinking around $300 would cover us for transportation, tips, souvenirs and maybe one off resort dinner/activity. We're nervous about bringing that much cash, but a credit card doesn't sound like a great idea either because of potential fraud. Are there any precautions we should take?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: money

Yes, most important precaution is suntan lotion. If you do use an ATM use one connected to a bank in case of malfunction. ATM's give only Pesos. You'll only need a bunch of cash if you go out and about a lot.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

Thanks RV - the sunscreen is at the top of my list! I'm usually very diligent about it, but will be bringing extra since the bf is stubborn. :)

I guess we will decide beforehand if we want to go out a bunch. And I may pay for a R/T transfer in advance - even less cash to bring that way.

Isle of Lewis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I think I'll just stick with taking US dollars rather than faffing around with two different currencies and if we decide to take any excursions we'll book via our TA with our card. Thanks for the reminder also re the entry and exit charges and re informing our bank of our intention to travel.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money

If you buy anything with your US$$ in the shops change can be given in RD pesos. You can use these to tip also, just keep a check on pesos exchange rate so you know the value of the tip ( and don't give too little lol!)

Edited: 2:17 am, November 21, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money

You can also use a credit card for larger items )though contact the bank before hand if you intend to use it).. You won't need that many cash dollars - except small denominations for tipping. There is plenty of advice on tipping here. Do what you feel comfortable with - not necessarily what other people suggest.

Edited: 2:14 pm, November 21, 2013