We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of what you put in your checked bag

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
799 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of what you put in your checked bag

We just got back from the Bavaro Princess Hotel in Punta Cana. Our flight left Oct 30th. At the airport nobody searched my bags at all while we were present. When I got home I found that Two Pairs of Sandals, Curling Iron, Shampoo, Conditioner, Hairspray, Tanning Lotions, Perfume, Body lotion and two beers (yes, you heard me right, two cans of Presidente missing) Two cans made it back. I got onto the airport website and could not find anywhere I could file a complaint. I know I will never see the stuff again, but I would like to at least let them know they have a thief or thieves working the luggage area. This is our 14th time to the Dominican and only the second occurrence, the first time they took hairspray which was an off brand (they must of been desperate), While on the airport website this is what I came across. Since I could not lodge a complaint to the airport I thought I would share what happened to me on Trip Advisor as many travelers read the forum pages.

The Claims Management Branch will be closed indefinitely, effective Tuesday, October 1, 2013. Due to the federal funding hiatus, we will not be able to access or return emails or telephone calls during this time. Additionally, the Claims Management Branch will not process any claims or payments during this funding hiatus. New claims will be processed when normal operations resume. Please contact our office when the lapse of appropriations has been resolved.

This did not ruin our vacation, we will be back. Just wanted to let others know what is going on.

Safe Travels

Quist

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Beware of what you put in your checked bag

I too always use the luggage strap, a hot pink one, and it has always stayed on.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Beware of what you put in your checked bag

I always lock my luggage - use TSA locks available at most big box retailers. TSA has master keys should they need to open the case for any reason.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
799 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Beware of what you put in your checked bag

I did not really loose anything of value as I never take anything that I would be totally upset about. It is just the invasion of prvacy. I have traveled all over and this is my first real incident. One can of hairspray isn't really anything to talk about the first time it happened. This is an isolated incident and I just wanted to make you aware that things do ocassionally happen. It will not stop us from traveling, and I feel very safe in the DR and I love the people. Their are bad eggs everywhere and we refuse to let one bad apple spoil our fun and traveling to a beautiful country with lots to offer.

The one piece of advice to take from this is never travel with anything you might be afraid of losing or is of great significance to you.

Happy Travels

44. Re: Beware of what you put in your checked bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 07, 2014