We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport security staff ill-trained

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Airport security staff ill-trained

On October 12th 2013 I was going through the security screening process when my carry-on bag was pulled aside for closer examination. Two items were taken from the bag and I was advised that they were not permitted as carry-on items. The first item was a tube of toothpaste that admittedly shouldn’t have been in the bag as it was 130 mls. and had travelled into the country in checked luggage. The error was mine. The other item was a bottle of cologne which was clearly marked with a manufacturer’s label defining its volume as 100 ml. This bottle had travelled to the Dominican Republic in my carry-on luggage after passing successfully through the screening process in Toronto, Canada.

I protested having it taken away by the Dominican staff, not because of the quantity left, it was nearly empty, nor because of the value but because this was and is my wife’s all-time favorite fragrance on me. It is also the last bottle of this fragrance that we were able to find since it is no longer in production. I had carefully checked the allowable limits for liquids at both the Toronto and Dominican airports so I knew I should have been safe with the cologne in my bag rather than my luggage. I guard this cologne very carefully, wearing it only when I am going out with my wife because she likes it so much and we know it is now irreplaceable. It was very disappointing to both of us to lose this cologne, so disappointing that I am embarking on this campaign of complaint.

I am always intensely frustrated by the incompetence of poorly trained staff and this appears to be the situation here. I have checked the Trip-advisor website and discovered I am not the first or only victim of this incompetence. I am asking that some-one in authority undertake to correct this situation. This incident reflects poorly on the professionalism of the airport operation and on Punta Cana as a destination. It is truly sad that our near-perfect experience at our resort was marred as we were departing.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

Sorry you had to loose that. Perhaps it was because it was alcohol based and flamable? The airport is privately owned so perhaps a call or a letter to explain their logic?

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

Well, I too am sorry to hear this happened to you...they don't make my favourite cologne for my hubby anymore either. I won't even let him take what's left when we travel.

Perhaps you and your lovely wife could embark on a "journey" to find a new favourite....? Just tryin' to offer an option that might be an adventure into something new for the two of you...? Should you find something, put some into a refillable travel-size bottle for your next trip - just enough to get you through and you'll know the rest is safe at home :D

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

Colognes and perfumes are allowed. The airport staff said no liquids were allowed which is not correct. I have written to the Airport administration, the Tourism board and the hotel chain head office. People in the airport (where I was sounding off) were suggesting this was just theft.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

i was under the impression that No Liquids are allowed.

Mike

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

From the airport website; "The Dominican CESA security procedures at Punta Cana International Airport follow the same guidelines as the TSA at airports in the USA."

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

i remember signs which showed in pictures No Liquids, but did not pay any attention since a while, when i fly out for a few days i bring my laptop case and a small handluggage piece for a few clothes to change, no liquids or what so ever stuff other than clothes, so it may have changed.

Mike

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

Liquids have been allowed at least traveling back to Canada for the last few years , not sure about going to the US, as the PC airport is privately owned they can do their own thing. As I am sorry the OP lost a fave sent they should look online as I have found fave fragrance that are no longer sold in stores on line for great prices on line

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

So, the 3-1-1 TSA policy doesn't apply because it is privately owned?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

The TSA policies are American. I think as long as they don't allow anything exceeding what TSA policy states, for flights into the USA, then they can do what they want.

I just play it safe and have no liquids, or anything of the sort in my carry-on luggage. Avoid the hassle.

Mark

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport security staff ill-trained

So leaving PC, all liquids in checked baggage..... We travel often in Europe and they go by TSA 3-1-1, also. Just "assumed" most countries did.