We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Food Specialties?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dominican Food Specialties?

While travelling I love to try local food specialties. I've been doing some research but thought I would ask - any must try Dominican foods? Any restaurants you would recommend? How about local snacks that you just can't find anywhere else (perhaps to take home)?

Thanks!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

Sancocho soup!! It was served at our resort one day - beef, pork, chicken, veggies, spices - soooo good and practically a "miracle cure" for a day after a little over-indulging, lol. :D

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

Get the Plato Del dia at the bar out side of departures. Never fails always our favorite meal of the trip... We never miss it!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

I'm fortunate to have areas around me in Boston with large Dominican populations so there are a number of Dominican restaurants that I've been to here.

Fish is very popular. They often serve it whole such as a fried snapper.

Tostones are great...fried green plantaines. Think a flat round french fry.

The meats are great. Stewed meats, pernil, carne frita with lime is one of my favorites.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

You can read a few articles about Dominican food here (with menu translations) http://puntacanatv.com/tag/dominican-food/

One of the best places for fresh fish & cold beers is Macao beach puntacanatv.com/macao-beach-punta-cana.html

Fish in coconut sauce (pescado con coco) is delicious. As is sancocho mentioned above and carne asada (spit roasted pork). I love mofongo (not to be confused with mondongo - stewed tripe/intestines) which is fried crushed platanos, garlic and either pork, chicken or shrimp. But I don't know anywhere that cooks it in Punta Cana, maybe someone else does? Typical snacks are empanadas (fried pasty filled with meat or cheese) and quipes - a deep fried (yes everything is fried!) bulgar roll stuffed with meat.

Most resorts offer a Dominican themed menu night where you can get a taste of local dishes.

Do a search on YouTube for "anthony bourdain no reservations dominican republic"

bon provecho!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

Fried Yucca. YUMMMMIEEEE! I hope we will be partaking in our favorite DR treat in Feb!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

paella------yummy and part of every Dominican family celebration!!!!!!!! Fresh -delicious

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

mondongo - stewed tripe/intestines - nothing wrong with that it can be very tasty if well done.

Dominican fried chicken in places like Pica Pollo Victorina is far superior to KFC.

Another dish is pasteles en hojas - mashed plantain filled with mined beef and oiled in a banana leaf. Best place I know is in the central park of San Pedro de Macorix - there may be somewhere round PC doing these.

Local longaniza fried with a drizzle of lime is very good + the roast pork.

In the supermarket you can get local snacks including planitos, chicherones (pork scratchings) + casabe.+ sweets such coco de leche.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

the fish was a favorite, and we also enjoy the curried goat.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

I like this topic - nice to see people actually wanting local foods. I think we see so many bad food reviews because too many people really don't want local food but want good old NA meat and potatoe meals! And when they see some of the local dishes in the buffet of set before them in a restaurant they dodn't even try it becasue it looks and smells different. Like the soup mentioned above - have seen people look at it and turn up their noises saying things like - it looks like they just throw all the left over meats into a bowl!

We have been going to the ME the last few years and if you read the reviews the favorite restaurnat of most is the Steakhouse becasue it is the more 'American' of the resturants! And the least favorite seems to tbe the French Gourmet because they do serve different gourmet dishes - and some of them can look very different.

Had one I ordered and it just looked like a big bowl of foam - but it was very good and I even have had it a couple more times.

Edited: 9:06 am, October 18, 2013
Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican Food Specialties?

@sackie-Funny how you mentioned potatoes. The potatoes in the DR are some of the best ones I ever had. As good as our local ones and I think I know why. We live in a marine enviornment with sandy, well draining soil, as is the DR. Just the right soil makes for a wonderfully creamy, flavorful spud. EPC used potatoes in their paella, which I thought was weird until I tried it. WOWSERS! :D