We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting sick

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Getting sick

I'm hearing all thus talk about people getting sick from food, and different measures people are taking to prevent this. Do I really need to take different meds like probiotics, or those pills? Geez I really hope not, I don't even take pills. Any thoughts would really help...

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting sick

I don't know what "those pills" are that you're referring to, but in my lay opinion, probiotics are great all the time, whether or not you're traveling. I'd classify them more as a supplement rather than a medicine, though.

Problem is, there's no "control" to the experiment - why people get sick in DR. Was it something they caught on the plane? Brought from home? More eating and drinking, less sleep than you're accustomed to? Who knows. I believe it's simply being exposed to different (not necessarily bad) bacteria than is typically in your gut, so your body reacts negatively. The probiotics supposedly make your intestinal tract more "friendly" to new and different bacteria your body might encounter, causing less upset. If you want to give them a shot, take them for a few weeks before you travel, and daily while you're away from home. I've not heard a downside to them...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting sick

While some swear by probiotics, I swear by common sense. Nothing to extremes, listen to my body, respecting the sun and the coconut drinks, and the oil that food is cooked in. Everything in moderation. While I do brush my teeth with tap water, have for 11 years, I do not swallow the water, only bottled in the room. Have never been sick.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting sick

probiotics are great,, i recommend them for 365 days of the year,,, 366 days every 4 years,,

Ontario
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting sick

Take some stuff for tummy upsets and other issues. Good to have on hand. Sun, different food, more drinks than usual can make you a little "not right". We have travelled to DR many times, never with any major issues - a few times some minor stuff. Use the bottled water for sure.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting sick

We too do the probiotics and we also took Pepto Bismol pills - we took a Pepto every morning and sometimes at night, just to coat the tummy. And yes, common sense when it came to amount of time in the sun, fruity drinks, using bottled water etc. No issues at all :)

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
731 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting sick

we have been going to the DR now for 13 years and never got sick. except for the rum and beer sickness,lol

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting sick

as others stated, probiotics are a good thingy for the body all around the year where ever you may be, including at home.

in almost 20 years in punta cana i never took any medicines and i would never take any without them beeing subscribed/recommended by a Doctor to me at the moment something comes up.

happy healthy travels

Mike

Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting sick

Thanks mike!

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting sick

And let us not forget . . . WASH YOUR HANDS.

Wash your hands BEFORE putting food or drink into your mouth

Wash your hands AFTER using the rest room

Wash your hands BEFORE scooping food out of the serving trays at the buffet, and please please please use the provided tongs (or better still, use your own fork for your selections).

I know it sounds all motherhood and apple pie, but (and I could cite you reams of evidence to prove it's true) we pick up more 'bugs' on our hands that could potentially cause illness, but if we simply clean them - and this is where the bottle of alcohol hand rub comes in handy (pun intended) before touching our face, the risk of getting sick is decreased even more!

Probiotics are great, if you are so inclined, but all the medicines in the world will not prevent simple transmission of microorganisms picked up from surfaces (think tongs/spoons/ladles at the buffet) entering the human body, Clean hands will.

Bugs

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting sick

If you are drinking your body will require at least 4quarts of water per day.