We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

2 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

I'm planning a last minute vacation for either Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. Going there with my family: Parents + Brother + another family friend.

Which destination would you guys recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

Punta Cana +s

white clean sand beaches, top high end resorts, safer area.

better for kids under 16 years. Much nicer airport.

Punta Cana negatives. Nothing to do outside of the resort unless you do one of the many excursions

Puerto Plata... Positives.. small towns for walking (be carefull) Great restraunts (but USD prices) good for water sports (Cabrette is the Kite sailing capital of the world) Night life (again be careful) Also Ocean World is there and its AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE

I was in a gas station and there was a guy cleaning our windows with a squeegie in one hand and a riffle in the other, we were not scared he was there to protect. Just be prepared as you see a lot of this type of thing.

Puerto Plata negatives... the beach is not safe for kids IMHO.. It was dirty and full of trash.. Dark brown sand, We did not swim or lie on the beach. There are a few nice areas like Cofressi Beach (small but nice) also if you want to drive 2or3 hours Las Terranas and Samana are beautifull.

In conclusion. I would recomend Puerto Plata for 20 to 30yrs crowd who want to party and have fun and do lots of water sports.

And Punta Cana for familys who want a beautiful beach vacation in a luxury resort......with the choice of great side trips

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
2. Re: Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 12, 2009