We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

We just got back from PPR. I know this resort does not come up on TA often so If you have a question I will try and answer it for you.

We had a wonderful time and it is now my favorite AI!! Will write a review by the end of the week.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

Looking forward to reading your review. I want to hear the experiences of those that went to PPR and did not upgrade to Royal Service. It seems like most of the reviews I've read on PPR are those that did the upgrade.

I also want to hear about the experiences of those who went to PPR with children.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

Glad you had a good vacation.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
3. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

How was the food?!?

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
291 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

Nancy - My hubby and I stayed at PPR for a week in April and we did not upgrade to Royal Service. My review is posted if you would like to check it out.

Sailexuma - We thought the food was pretty good. We opted to dine one night at Passions where you pay an additional fee and I HIGHLY recommend it. The food and service was the best we have ever had and it was well worth the extra we paid.

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

We did upgrade to RS. I thought the food was the best I have had of all the AI I have been to. We ate at Gabi Beach, Vento, Bana and Palazzo. Service and food were wonderful. I had recently visited Secrets Maroma beach in Mexico and there was no comparison. Everything (except the beach water) was much better. Passion did look beautiful but my daughters did not like the menu. :( . Next time I will definitely try it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

You mentioned that you upgraded to Royal Service and traveled with your daughters. Are they over 18 or did they make an exception for you? How much did it cost for the upgrade? Seems like most people are upgrading once they get to the resort.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
291 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

See I thought that Secrets Maroma Beach was far and away better than PPR. But then again, we did not upgrade to RS at PPR so maybe there was something with royal service that really puts this resort over the top. We just felt like we had already spent plenty to be there and didnt really want to spend more for special treatment.

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

Nancy, My daughters both turned 20 while we were there. They did check their passports upon checking in.

We had two rooms and stayed for five nights. The upgrade was about $100 per night per room extra. We upgraded when we booked the trip. You could probably get a better deal at the hotel when you check in.

GoBucks, I do think the RS makes a difference. We were able to eat breakfast at Palazzo which we ordered from a menu as well as a buffet with made to order eggs, French toast, crepes etc... At SMB the only choice was a large buffet. Lunch at SMB was either one restaurant with a limited menu or the grill. Again PPR we had at least three different choices of restaurants with only one being a buffet.

I liked that SMB did not take reservations for dinner. I was concerned about it at PPR. However the butler did it for you and we had no problems getting the ones we wanted and times.

I loved having a beach butler at PPR. Although SMB has a great way to avoid the towel game and the beach is magnificent, It was nice to come from breakfast every morning and have two bali beds under a palapa with four lounge chairs all set up waiting for us. SMB we had to share a palapa or rent a cabana. Beach drink service was the same.

The rooms were similar and the adult only aspect of SMB is nicer.

I thought SMB was a great resort. I just liked the tropical feel of PPR better. But that just me. I like the lush gardens and palm trees as oppose to the concrete at SMB. I would go back to both resorts in a heart beat.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

I know you said you did not upgrade to RS. Did they mention how much the upgrade will be while you were checking in, we are considering to upgrade but trying to decide if we should do it ahead of time or if it will be cheaper to do it at the time of check-in. Please do tell what they quoted. Other than access to Adult only and Gabi restaurant what other benefits come with RS.

Also how dressy were people in the a la cart restaurants?

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Just returned from Paradisus Palma Real. Any questions?

We DID upgrade to RS when we booked. I think the upgrade was an extra $100 a room per night. I thought it was well worth it. I don't know how much it would have been if we upgraded when we checked in.

You had access to Palazzo restaurant for breakfast , lunch and dinner. All were ala carte. We never had to eat at the large buffet. Our butler made all of our dinner reservation and we were able to get the times and nights we wanted. The RS beach has covered bali beds as well as lounge chairs that are reserved for you. No need to get up early. There is also a fresh juice bar on the beach. Upgraded amenities in the room as well as upgraded liquor and room service. The room itself is closer to the beach. RS also has access to the RS hydrotherapy spa. You can use it when ever you want. The RS lounge is very nice and served horderves and top shelf liquor all day. It was also the only area on the resort to get wifi as well as access to a computer. There were other perks but I cant think of them all.

At all of the ala carte restaurants except for Gabi Beach men had to wear long pants, collared shirt and closed toe shoes. Women usually had on sundresses.. I did not see anyone very dressed up in formal dresses.